Windows 7 BSOD after waking from sleep and shutdown

Sounds promising.. Your idea of applying more voltage to the new sticks might be a good one and I have thought of mentioning it in the past but usually unless your stressing sticks there's normally no need. Give it a try Fil you never know.... The good news is that we/you are hopefully on the right track at last and I'm so glad you had that old RAM lying around.
As for the power situation, well it seems that's been cleared up by the old RAM too as your machine has been starting as you wanted it to (via the keyboard) so I guess we can put that on the back burner.
Please keep me updated Fil and good job!

Sounds good Kemical. Thanks again for the help/guidance! I'm going to test my RAM with higher voltage to the RAM incrementally and see if I can get it stable. If not, at very least I can sell my new sticks on ebay and get some compatible sticks. Glad I kept my old ones!

P.s. Just woke up my computer for the 3rd time without BSOD and via keyboard. Feels good :)

Hi Kemical,

First off, no BSOD. Just to put you at ease :)

Just wanted your opinion. I've tested my RAM with higher voltages (NB Core @ 1.25V and DRAM at 1.70V) but the BSOD after sleep keeps coming. G.Skill says that even though my RAM isn't listed on the Mobo compatibility chart, that they should still work with the Mobo. They had suggested raising the voltages too (like I previously had done). And Gigabyte support doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

So my question is: Should I continue to test my new RAM with increased voltages by continuing to increment DRAM by +0.05V each time? Or should I stay the course, sell my RAM (already listed on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131309738728?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649) and get a pair of sticks from the Mobo's compatible list?

I know this isn't a question with a definitive answer, but I'm curious for your opinion. If I could get my current RAM to run, I would love to stick with them! I'm just not sure what will get them to work correctly and without BSOD.

Hey Fil,
good to hear from you and I'm pleased to hear the new/old sticks are working out.
In answer to your question, it may well be that the higher speed sticks are fine but something about your system just either doesn't like your sticks or your sticks don't like something about your system. At 1.70v your starting to push beyond safe limits and I wouldn't go much higher as it could cause damage to the motherboard. Personally I'd try Googling about the sticks in question and see what information can be uncovered either by reviews and/or forum users. If the search comes up with nothing helpful then treat them as a lost cause and purchase new sticks.
Good luck and keep in touch! :)

Maybe even consider, for testing purposes, dumbing down the memory.
Instead of upping the voltages maybe reset them to factory and then consider using default settings for 1066 memory instead of 1333.
Just purely as another means of diagnosing the likes and dislikes of memory vs. MoBo.

Hey guys,

Hope you're well! Just wanted to give you an update on what I'm doing with my comp:

When I asked if I should indeed sell my new RAM as opposed to trying to raise the voltage, I had already listed them on Ebay. After I got your suggestions, I really intended to give them a shot, but unfortunately, I didn't have the time to try them out before my new RAM sold. :(

I shipped them out today and purchased these beauties: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233184

These were listed right on my mobo's RAM compatibility chart, so I figured they were a safe bet: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/memory_ga-990fxa-ud3.pdf

I know I'll probably have to make some small tweaks, but what doesn't need a little tweakage? :)

Once I take these new sticks for a spin, I'll give you an update. Hopefully I can get the RAM running stable @ 1866 with both sticks.

Hey Fil!,
glad to hear all is going well and good luck with the new purchase. :)

Hey guys!

Got my RAM yesterday and installed them. I turned on XMP and let them run. By now, I've been through 4 wake cycles and NO BSODs!

:partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay::partay:

I think I can finally lay this one to rest. Thanks again for all your help! I really really appreciate it all!

Wonderful to hear Fil... All the best for the future and pop back if you should ever need to.

Back
Top Bottom