Windows 7 Can't Get Past Login Screen

Fernando89

Hello, I was hoping someone here could help me with a problem I encountered earlier this afternoon, since I couldn't seem to find this particular issue anywhere after about an hour of Googling.After rebooting my computer, I found myself unable to get past the login screen. Windows boots normally, it doesn't hang or freeze...it takes me to the login screen as expected, and I type my password in as usual. It accepts this without error, so I know my password isn't wrong or anything like that...but after displaying the 'welcome' message and loading circle for a few seconds, the screen flashes black, and bounces me right back to the login screen. It doesn't reboot my computer, I don't get stuck at the Windows logo or anything like that...it's just not taking me to my desktop after I log in, no matter how many times I try or reboot. Fortunately, I've got a Linux partition, and worst case scenario I can still access all my files and back them up should I need to do a clean install...but I'm sure there's a way to fix this.Before rebooting, I had changed my visual style, something I've done in the past. I'm guessing that the issue is with one of the system files that got replaced - explorerframe.dll or shell32.dll, for instance (the tool I use is Windows Themes Installer by Kishan-Bagaria). I've never had issues with changing visual styles before, but obviously this is the most likely cause for the sudden issue. Is there a way I can restore the files to their default states? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

have you tried system restore?
you can access it by pressing f8 or some other f* button and enter advanced boot options (you should get something like this 08b97cca_windows-7-startup-menu.png)
when you select repair your computer you should come across system restore, then just restore to an earlier point if you have one..

System Restore tells me that it's turned off, and the Help instructions to turn it on seem to refer to an option I don't have.http://i.imgur.com/mGJPT.pngIn order to turn System Restore on, I should click on 'system protection' in the left pane, but that option isn't there. This is all from booting into Safe Mode, mind you (which lets me log in just fine). I ran msconfig and told it to boot in Diagnostic Startup, rebooted, and that let me log into my desktop normally, so there must be something that normally runs at startup that's not letting me go to my desktop if Safe Mode and Diagnostic Mode work? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    58.1 KB · Views: 364
Was this ever solved? I'm having the exact same problem, but I didn't change any themes. Any help would be great.

Back
Top Bottom