Windows 7 Convert Dynamic disk back to Basic disk

badrobot

I need help converting a Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk without losing any data. I am aware that AOMEI PA Pro can do this but I don't have a pro version. Any other way I can do this? The disk I want to convert is just a data disk (1TB hd). My OS is on separate hard drive (SSD). Thanks.

dynamicdisk.jpg

You don't have some type of external drive you could move the files to?

But I don't have any experience with what you are asking about.

Hey badrobot....use Aomei Pro.....there is trial version of it. Use it for what you need to do.

Hey badrobot....use Aomei Pro.....there is trial version of it. Use it for what you need to do.

Thanks Bass. I tried the AOMEI Pro demo/trial, and it's telling you to buy a license to be able to perform the conversion. One guy also recommended Acronis, but for some strange reason, when I confirm the conversion I keep getting "The Application has stopped working" error. Tried many times but no luck. I will be trying out the Mini-Tool Partition Wizard 8 later when I get off work.

That disk that I want to convert used to be Basic. At one point, when I was working on my partitions, it was suddenly converted to Dynamic. Probably because I was trying to downsize one partition and merged the slice to extend another partition. But since Basic disks can only handle maximum of 4 primary partitions, it was Converted to dynamic disk. I just can't believe that the native Disk Management utility is so lame in dealing with this kind of issues. 3rd party software can do it easily without data loss.

Thanks again!

SOLVED!
I used AOMEI Disk Manager Pro and in 2 clicks, my disk is back to Basic.
Thanks for all the recommendations. Cheers!

BackToBasic.jpg

I love that software...I have all 3 of their products....

Back
Top Bottom