Desktop items causing crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by cheddo, Dec 15, 2011.

1. cheddo

cheddo New Member

Pictures downloaded to my desktop keep crashing MS Live Mail when I attempt to attach one and also when I attempt to fetch one from Adobe Illustrator. However, if I load any pictures from anywhere else they don't crash. I also downloaded a game to my desktop and when I went to open it up I got an error stating the game was incompatible with my OS....when I know it wasn't. Any ideas what is going on? Just started last night. FYI - I have never had any problems with this computer at all since I purchased it.

My specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name CHERYL-HP
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP G62 Notebook PC
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Turion(tm) II P540 Dual-Core Processor, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.29, 4/7/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.74 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.92 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.49 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.54 GB
    Page File Space 3.74 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

The Live Mail problem.
    Open the options - Safety Options - Security.
    Have a good look at the items there and make sure you are not blocking anything - particularly in the centre (download) portion.
    The second item. No rudeness intended, but why are you sure that it is compatible? Have you tried installing in compatible mode for an earlier OS?

3. Medico

Medico Senior Member

Cheryl, welcome to the Forum.
    You say you just downloaded a game to your desktop. If the problem started after the download, there is your problem. I would be VERY wary of downloaded games, especially free games. Free games and music downloads and even screensavers, etc carry very high riskd with them in many cases. See if the game can be uninstalled. If it carried a virus you might have to clean your PC as well. Do a complete virus scan with your AV app (you do have an AV app don't you?). I would also install MalwareBytes and run a complete scan with it. If these scans can't be run, boot into safe mode and try there.