Windows 7 Disk checking has been cancelled - Windows 7 64-bit

meridius10

Everything was going so well until now...

I installed Windows 7 SP1 64-bit on a Toshiba laptop which used to have Vista 32-bit on it.

Yesterday I put in all the Toshiba drivers and ran chkdsk and am pretty sure it was ok.

I ran chkdsk tonight and got a message that was so quick I can barely read it, but on reboot at the end it says "A disk checking has been scheduled. Disk checking has been cancelled" which comes and goes very quickly.

In BootExecute in the registry it seems OK and shows it as "autocheck autochk*".

Any ideas?

P.S. Additional information.

Results of the following -

sfc/scannow: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".
fsutil dirty query c: "Volume -c is NOT dirty".

Is there some reason you are running chkdsk? Windows 7 does maintanence on the drives pretty much all the time. If a problem is noted on a drive, chkdsk should occur automatically. Maybe the system knew you just ran it.

Is there some reason you are running chkdsk? Windows 7 does maintanence on the drives pretty much all the time. If a problem is noted on a drive, chkdsk should occur automatically. Maybe the system knew you just ran it.

I run chkdsk from time to time and especially now after I loaded so many new Toshiba drivers.

In my opinion it should be working as it worked fine yesterday so something is not right and the way it is operating now is not normal.

I have always normally run chkdsk on demand so I can be satisfied that there are no problems, and I am now not confident with the os as it can't run it at all as normal.

The chkdsk problem was resolved by going into the command prompt as administrator and typing in chkntfs /t:0

I am not sure if a Toshiba software addition caused the problem in the first place.

Did you check what the Autochk.exe initiation countdown time was before you zeroed it out?

Did you check what the Autochk.exe initiation countdown time was before you zeroed it out?

Yeah, it was the default of 10. This may have been something to do with one of the Toshiba drivers/updates that were manually added by me although I am using the word maybe as I cannot find direct evidence of this.

I have done lengthy disk checks including chkdsk, SeaTools for DOS and HDDScan and no bad sectors were reported.

It would have been possible to change /t to 3, but looking at another post on another forum a user said he ran chksdk a few times and then got the same error msg's so changed /t from 3 to 0.

This is not an ideal situation, but at least if there is a problem and chkdsk has to run for some reason, it should then be allowed to run again without this error msg.

Back