Windows 10 File search not working

Blutarsky

Extraordinary Member
Since my upgrade to Windows 10240 from 8.1, file search (windows key + search string) returns no results. Rebuilt index from scratch. Not working.
Any hint?

Did you give search permission to look everywhere or set it to only look in documents?

Not working.
If by not work you are saying the tool doesn't start then try [windows key] + [x] then press
Screenshot (154).png

To clarify, the start menu is working, however only web results are returned, no local ones. Indexing will show some 250,000 indexed files however no results when searching!

• So if you type the word "music" does it offer you the "grove music" app or nothing?
Screenshot (155).png

• Does search know your location or did you block it... what types of search words did you try?

• So if you type the word "music" does it offer you the "grove music" app or nothing?
I do get some results ** ONLY ** related to system stuff (as no user files where indexed)
Untitled.png

ussnorway said:
View attachment 30945
  • Does search know your location or did you block it...

Yes it does, as you can see the user data folder is included and some 250,000+ files are indexed:
Untitled.png

ussnorway said:
View attachment 30945
  • what types of search words did you try?

I am looking for an excel file, "forwarders.xls", once I type "forward" nothing appears in the search results:
Untitled.png

however the file is here:
Untitled.png

and the folder is included in the indexing options:
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Hi

You might want to take a look at Agent Ransack, I've used it for many years.
It works much better then the native Windows search engine.

It puts a entry on your right click context menu so all you have to do it point at the place you want to search, right click, click on Agent Ransack and enter you search criteria.

It will search an entire drive in a matter of seconds and it never misses anything, and you can modify the search options to meet your needs.

I honestly couldn't get along without it, I use it every day.

Agent Ransack - Download

Mike

Hi

You might want to take a look at Agent Ransack, I've used it for many years.
It works much better then the native Windows search engine.

It puts a entry on your right click context menu so all you have to do it point at the place you want to search, right click, click on Agent Ransack and enter you search criteria.

It will search an entire drive in a matter of seconds and it never misses anything, and you can modify the search options to meet your needs.

I honestly couldn't get along without it, I use it every day.

Agent Ransack - Download

Mike
Thank you for the suggestion. Some questions:
- How does indexing occur? Is it a resource hungry task?
- Do you use the pro version?

Hi

I don't think that it does any indexing as such, and it works independent of Windows search.
But it's amazingly fast.

An example...

I just now had it search my D:\ drive which has over 400 gigabytes of stuff on it for any file with the .exe extension.
It searched the entire drive and found 849 files, and it took all of 28 seconds to do it.

As I said I've used it for years as my only way of searching for stuff on my computer.
I really couldn't get along without it, and I don't see any overhead at all on my computer.

And it's so easy to use, just right click on the location that you want to search, select AgentRansack, type in your search subject, and say go. It will remember what you typed in so you can work your way through multiple locations with out retyping.

The whole program installation, only takes 10.2 megabytes of disk space.

Just give it a try, it's free and it's never caused me any problems at all.

Just make sure you download it from Mythicsoft, the people who created it.
Because it's popular it gets stuck on a lot of sites that want to add stuff on to the download.

I've never used the pro version, I've always just installed the free version and it's done everything that I need.

Mike

I have the same problem. Tho mine wont show system settings or my files. Was hoping other people have encountered this problem & has a solution or fix.

Back