Windows 7 how to get command prompt through safe mode

qamarmiqdad

when i press f8 in win 7 i have the option of 'run safe mode with command prompt' but it does not work on choosing it.

one thing more i can not run my operating system in normal mode and not have win os disc.

so, help me how to enter into cmd on rebooting the system.thanks

1. Can you go to just Safe Mode ?
If yes, please do that.
Now, if possible, do a system restore and pick a date you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
When that done, see if you can logon to normal mode.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

2. Please elaborate.....
When you turned on the computer and tried to logon, what happened?

3. You said .....when i press f8 in win 7 i have the option of 'run safe mode with command prompt' but it does not work on choosing it......................

Please explain exactly what happened when you chose Safe mode with command prompt ?
Nothing happened?
Were you saying that you got to safe mode but command prompt did not work ?
Or were you saying you could not get to safe mode with command prompt?
Please be more specific.

Thank you.

Last edited:
when i press f8 in win 7 i have the option of 'run safe mode with command prompt' but it does not work on choosing it.
I'm not very good with these commands, so I had to try it. When I start with F8 this way, Windows loads files, and then I get this black window, sort of DOS type, and it says cmd.exe. No normal desktop is visible, the surrounding of the windows is black, only with Safe Mode typed in the four corners.

I can, however reach the cmd.exe via Windows' normal Safe Mode, by typing cmd.exe in the Search for files and folders, found through the Start button.

one thing more i can not run my operating system in normal mode and not have win os disc.
Many factory made computers come with a separate disk partition that contains Windows; it has substituted the physical / separate DVD. It depends on the make of your computer. There may, probably or possibly, be everything for fixing the system. These tools provided, if they exist, may be more customer friendly.

Don't know if this helps. But perhaps you could try to start with plain Safe Mode? Or do you have the option "Repair Windows" with F8?

David's #1 is quite good too. Might be the easiest? When using a Restoration Point, do check what Programs will be affected - you'll need to re-install them.

Last edited:
Thanks, davidhk129
When I boot the computer and press F8, it shows options to boot in various modes...
I choose "Safe mode with Command prompt".
But instead of displaying me the command prompt on the login screen it shows me the normal login screen....
windows loads files but does not show the dos screen even if i choose simple 'safe mode' option.
What should I do to resolve the issue? I want the command prompt.
All your replies are much appreciated.thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't know, you can legally download a Windows 7 Install .iso file with Sp1 included. You could burn that to DVD or create a flash drive to boot.

Did you make a recovery CD from within Windows?

When you select one of the Safe Modes, it will require you to use your password. Are you seeing that?

Are you seeing any options to "Repair Your Computer" in addition to the Safe Modes and other options?

Why can you not run Windows 7 in the normal mode.. ? What is it doing, what messages are you receiving?

I just tried it too and I am getting the command prompt. Something is not right with your installation. You might need to perform a restoration. or worse, system recovery.

you must login in first before getting cmd if you already used to password for logging into the windows..
but if you were not using password for logging in then it will bring you directly to the command prompt by choosing the option of safe mode with cmd.
but i know i can access it through using windows 7 OS disc.
so, is there Any way to access cmd command before logon to windows 7 without any external source.
now the question why i am insisting to do in such a way bz i am IT support person in a organization and sometimes there
is no external source and you want to do it quickly access the system whose user has forgotten the password.thanks

Just one thing: if you get into normal Safe Mode, you need to press Start button, then write cmd.exe down left, in the Search for files and folders. "cmd" should appear in the upper part of Start menu - if it does, left click it. If it doesn't, I'd agree with
If you don't know, you can legally download a Windows 7 Install .iso file with Sp1 included. You could burn that to DVD or create a flash drive to boot.

When I boot the computer and press F8, it shows options to boot in various modes and i can not run my operating system in normal mode and not have win os disc.
I choose "Safe mode with Command prompt".
But instead of displaying me the command prompt on the login screen it shows me the normal login screen....
windows loads files but does not show the dos screen even if i choose simple 'safe mode' option.
What should I do to resolve the issue? I want the command prompt. All your replies are much appreciated.thanks a lot

Not sure why that is happening but I guess you could simply run a "cmd" command to get the command prompt once it has booted into safe mode.

What should I do to resolve the issue? I want the command prompt. All your replies are much appreciated.thanks a lot

1. Were you the same person I suggested doing a system restore? Why won't you try it first?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

2. If you insist on command prompt, then call up the command prompt the usual way.....
Start button > search box, type cmd > top left, RIGHT click at cmd.exe > select Run As Administrator > now you have the elevated command prompt. Do whatever you intended to do.

Last edited:
Last edited:
actually i have the option of getting the command prompt by using external medium like win 7 disc but the scenario is more worst that if i do not have;
system repair disc
no restore point
can not make image file
not made easyaccess point to cmd on login screen
and now i want to log in to windows but not have password.so, only through cmd i can make access.

now plz tell me, is there any option to get access in such a way.thanks

Others may not agree with me.
My recommendation is to use your Win 7 disc and reinstall.
You do have the product key safe-kept somewhere, yes ?

To save you having to reload all your apps and data you could try an inplace install. MAKE sure you backup your critical information first.
Boot to normal windows desktop, insert your WIN7 disc it should get you to a screen to install windows. This method will not format the dirve but only replace all the windows files.

I can't stress the point enough to make a backup to protect your critical data.

@Everyone: I think people are getting off track on what qamarmiqdad is actually trying to do. He is trying to recover lost passwords for Windows computers in his IT environment. And it appears he is trying to use Safe Mode Command Prompt to do so. Sure is the long way around I'd say. I spent 20+ years in IT, and there is always another way.

@qamarmiqdad: Have you tried going to Standard Safe Mode from another computer in your shop? If so, does it work correctly? Perhaps the computer you are using is hosed or the hard drive is bad (have you run complete hardware diagnostics on it?). I see lots of Win7 computers with failed hard drives as they are 2-4 yrs. old now..Continuing to try and solve a problem on only 1 computer is like banging your head against the wall; your head will fail before the wall will! :glee:

What tool are you trying to use to do Password Recovery? You never mention that. Or the process you are attempting once you arrive into Safe Mode. We can't tell you how to recovery windows passwords here in the forums, but there are several excellent programs that can help you do that. The latest I found works really well on new Windows computers such as Vista & Win7 is the OPHCRACK program; a free download.

You can also use assorted utilities on the UBCD linux based toolset from Benjamin Burrows; another free download. Many IT shops and independents such as me use this tool. There are several programs in there that can do this.

Lastly, if none of those work, you can always use the tried and true NT Offline Registry Editor, but it's pretty much only designed for advanced computer experts, so you might have to get some of your more seasoned IT co-workers to assist you. (I teach Technicians going for their A+ certifications how to use this tool). They might even loan you one of these 3 programs I mentioned for a price--perhaps a cup of coffee!

Good Luck! :thumbs_up:

BIGBEARJEDI

Omg I felt so bad for the original poster that I decide to join this forum site. Vista, 7 when selecting safe mode with command prompt in most cases will take you to the login screen. You to login before it provides you with a command prompt.. Which is just whack by Microsoft. The normal way to get around customers forgetting there local passwords was to go into safe mode command prompt and then administrator, which in most companies is a std password. Because safe mode with command prompt doesn't load on a locked down machine. I normally go about it from a USB stick, change bios to boot from the USB stick and load a command prompt that way.

@qamarmiqdad hi just want to know if this thread is still active? we have the same problem sir "qamarmiqdad", so i understand all what you're saying, I'm also an IT support, have you resolve these issue from you're unit w/o reformatting or using recovery tools?
Thanks, before I'm konboot1.1 and it works, but for now i wont.

I might try to use sir "BIGBEARJEDI"

Thanks sir BIGBEARJEDI for sharing your opensource tools..

Back