Windows 7 How to get rid of Speedbit ?

Georgey

Honorable Member
I don't know how Speedbit got into my computer but it keeps hijacking both my homepage and default search engine. This is not a browser issue though, the filth is in my System folders (I run Win 7 Ultimate x64, but this is in the x86 segment).

First, of course, I tried to uninstall it, but, of course, there was no uninstaller file in its folder. Nor could I find anything related among the installed programs either with Windows Control Panel or a specific program called Your Uninstaller.

Then, I deleted what I could but two files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Speedpit\SBUpdate, viz. SBupd.dll and SBUpdate.exe resisted all attempts for being open in SBUpdate Module. I checked both the Task Manager and the Startup Manager, but couldn't find anything like this running.

I also tried to delete these files with Norton and Total Commanders, hoping that they would offer to close this ghost program (or module, or whatever) if I insist but they did not.

What is this SBUpdate Module, where is it, and most importanatly how to exterminate it ?
Also, is there any way to prevent such attacks in the future?

Thanks a lot.

Back