Windows 7 How to reclaim the lost space back in ssd due to defragment

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Defragmentation does not generally result in any "lost space".
It simply examines your MRUs and places them at a more readily accessible location on the drive and then assembles scattered file fragments and places them together like they should be.
SSDs rarely need to be defragmented as they have a built in TRIM function (google it) which manages such things.
So could you be a bit more specific as to what you are referring to when you refer to "lost space"

Well, what has happened was like, my ssd local disk c has got 80 % of its space used, without knowledge of how to reduce the highly consumed space I defrag thinking I would save space instead I have lost the remaining space, now my question is how can I reclaim the lost space back

Sent from my ST25i using WindowsForum mobile app

Have you been able to examine the drive to see what is consuming the space?
There is a utility called WinDirStat from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/files/windirstat/1.1.2 installer re-release (more languages!)/windirstat1_1_2_setup.exe/download?use_mirror=tcpdiag
Which might help. Just run it on "selected drives" specifically your SSD.
Don't get overwhelmed by all the pretty colors at the bottom the tree view at the top contains the real information. Look at the Percentage and Size columns to get a since of what is using up your space.
Have you rebooted since the defrag?
If that is all you've done to the drive then it sounds like something is being miss reported somewhere.
Can you attach an image of your Computer folder / file explorer as attached?

Attachments

• ThisPC.JPG
    ThisPC.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 369
What am trying to say is that I defrag my SSD thinking I would save space but instead I have lost the rest of space remaining( which means defragment consumes space) Now I want to know if their is a way to reverse or undo defragment. This is my first time to use a notebook which have SSD instead of HDD.

I think the real thing which has consume space in my disk is the media as suggested by one blogger. He generally advised not to keep media files in SSD rather should be kept in external drives, I found that making sense, and again many bloggers are suggesting that SSD must not be defragmented at all cost as that might reduce their life span without improving anything in pc,their I feel sorry for myself thinking that I have harm my SSD hense loosing that space, what is your suggestion on that one?

Manually defragging an SSD (which is not generally necessary provided your disk controller is set to AHCI mode and not Native / IDE) should take all of a heartbeat or two as it just basically runs the TRIM function manually and should not do any irreparable harm to your drive.
As far as keeping files / data (music, pictures, vids / movies, etc.,) on a separate drive? I would strongly endorse it, where ever possible.
Personally I have three physical drives in my computer. An SSD and two Spinners virtually everything is on one of the two spinners.
That accomplishes three things (in my opinion)....
It simplifies my backup strategy.
It leaves me more room on my SSD.
It protects me, to some extent, against some catastrophic failure of the Operating System, should a reinstall become necessary.
AND that concludes what is very subjectively my own personal opinion.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time,I will revise ma SSD if there something to get rid of, but lastly I want to know how can I manage my SSD space, especially using software, can you suggest me good software for that action please

Back
Top Bottom