Windows 7 How to Remove Grub loader and get windows 7 boot loader back (uninstalling Linux)

kaiser2011

Hi

I orignally had windows 7 professional 64 bit on my laptop. I had a 10 Gb partition, which i divided in SWAP and / mount to install Ubuntu Linux. My computer now loads into Grub loader.
All is well, its just now i want to get rid of Linux. (I will install it on desktop and mess around with it there.)

I wanted to know how to get rid of the Grub loader. I googled it and found that you can restore the windows (didnt find nwything for windows 7) bootloader using the installation disk and going into repair. The instructions however were all for windows xp and few for vista.

I want to know if it will work for Windows 7. If it is same or different in any way, could some one please outline the procedure for me, with the neccasry commands to use in the cmd.

Note: I dont have a windows 7 DVD. I have a Windows 7 professional upgrade disk 64 bit. My Vista came pre loaded on the laptop, and i have recovery disks for it. Will i be able to do it from the Windows 7 upgrade disk.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Kaiser2011

Ok i know i was the one who posted this. But its okay, i found out how to do. Did it also and it worked perfectly. I did it from the Upgrade disk i had.

It is basically the same as Vista. Micrsoft has a Support page for this here.

Please not that you don't have to type Bootrec.exe and then choose options. You can just type Bootrec.exe/FixMbr

FixMbr is basically the thing you will be looking forward to. It will automatically detect any Windows and write a windows boot for it, deleting the previous one. (Over writing the Grub Loader)

You can then Use Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions utility in the windows 7 to delete and reclaimn the Linux drive/SWAP back. You do not need to use any Third Party Software to Partition Disk. Windows Utility is more than enough.

Here are some Steps if you dont want to go into the details on Micrsoft Website.

1. Put the Windows 7 installation/Upgrade disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer (set to boot from CD in BIOS).

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair (Windows 7 in this case), and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Once in the command prompt, type exactly Bootrec.exe /FixMbr and then press ENTER. You will see "operation completed successfully." (Doesnt even take a second. Dont be alarmed )

8. Reboot and set BIOS to boot from the HDD again.

GRUB will be overwritten in step 7 and Windows bootloader will once again take control of loading your OS(s).

I have found online that you can use the Third Party software EasyBCD to also do this. However EasyBCD does not have official Support for Windows 7 yet. The BootFix you do from it will be of Windows Vista but it will work just fine. I however have a friend who did it and it just had one problem. The windows is loading page dissappears and instead of a Windows 7 loading, you will now see a Windows Vista Loading page with its bar. The windows 7 will load up normally though. Its just funny to look at it though.

Kaiser2011:
Always good to hear when a member resolves his own issues. Thanks for posting back your resolution as it may very well prove useful to someone else.

i think you should be able to, not sure though
try booting with the recovery disk and see if it gives you the option for it

thank you so much. i had linux on a usb key so that it was required to boot my pc, and then last night my sister took off with it. i have been freaking out since i need my laptop for school. and this worked perfectly. now to hunt down my sister, thanks for saving my ***,

Thank you so much for this info. Greatly appretiated. I was well freaked out. I actually registered purely to reply to this thread. You deserve the credit. Cheers again!!!!

I found that using this command in the prompt worked for me bootsect /nt60 C:. The other command mentioned in this thread did not.

I cant tell you how am I grateful for your simple and cut-edge solution. I was in a big mess. :)
I only registerd to thank you.

Having said that, I still have a problem. I can see the loader. I can load ubuntu, but when I ty to load windows7, it does not occur. it asks me startup disk repair from the win7 cd that I have. it did some start up repair and said everything will go fine, but it did not.

I booted from the windows cd to try to repair from a previous restore point that I had (which did not work before applying your solution)

also did not work

I fixed the loader and I could load into Ubuntu but not win7

I cant tell you how am I grateful for your simple and cut-edge solution. I was in a big mess. :)

Having said that, I still have a problem. I can see the loader. I can load ubuntu, but when I ty to load windows7, it does not occur. it asks me startup disk repair from the win7 cd that I have. it did some start up repair and said everything will go fine, but it did not.

I booted from the windows cd to try to repair from a previous restore point that I had (which did not work before applying your solution)

also did not work

also did not work

me again, I guess it was my fault after all. When I was playing arround looking for solutions, I resored my bios to default settings and that screwed the sata cofiguration. Once I returned them back the computer booted perfect in both systems perfectly.

Thanks again

Hey Guy,

I tried ur suggestion to fix boot loader in my win 7 but nothing changed.
Any other ideas I could try ?

Regards,
Bruce

This is the 1st time I have taken the time to say thank you for info.
I had been trying for 3 days to accomplish what your posting explained
so clearly.
So thanks for posting

I found that using this command in the prompt worked for me bootsect /nt60 C:. The other command mentioned in this thread did not.

Shut up. bootsect /nt60 c: did not work for me. bootrec.exe is the only command that seems to work. I was in a real pickle. Thanks so much for your help kaiser2011. I only registered just to thank you.

Shut up. bootsect /nt60 c: did not work for me. bootrec.exe is the only command that seems to work. I was in a real pickle. Thanks so much for your help kaiser2011. I only registered just to thank you.
Is it really necessary to tell someone to "shut up"?

Just wanted to post a thank you to the original poster.

Also if anyone is still wondering, a recovery disc made on a 32 bit system or 64 bit system works on any flavor (ultimate, home premium, etc) as long as you use the right system (32 or 64).

I am facing the same problem. But I don't have the windows 7 installation disk as the OS came pre-installed with my laptop(Sony Vaio). There is a recovery drive which has the OS but it cannot be accessed as there is the 'grub error' when I restarts my computer. I want to remove grub and vector linux from my laptop. Please help me out.

Back