Windows 7 how to upgrade from 7 home premium to win 7 pro

her0

Hi every one,

I tried to find solution to my question but didn't help much. so I'm starting ne.w thread.
I already have Home premium installed on my laptop. I want to upgrade to win 7 pro.
the windows tool " upgrade any time " doesn't help me because I already have the disk.

what should I do just paste the new win 7 pro key or i've to go for new fresh install.
I don't wanna loose my data.

Thanks

Running an upgrade install from the disk you have should not lead to any loss of data but when making any major changes to your system, such as this, you should back up any important data before you start.

I do not think you can upgrade without a clean install from one Win 7 version to another, that is what the anytime upgrades are for. But I have never had a key for the upgrade version and have not tried it.

Let us know how it goes.

I got a strange error while installing it. I boot it from DVD room as soon as i click install now i get this error " A required CD/DVD drive device drive is missing. IF you have a drive flppy disk, cd, USB. bla bla

NOTE: if the windows installation media is the CD/DVD drive you can safely remove it.

any help

ya were right mate,

It's just a bazaar, first i had problem with cd room detection n then made another ISO which fixed the issue it was bad burning Image. As I tried to install it gives another error " use " upgrade any time in order to move from one OS version to another OS. It simply means waste of Bandwidth.

I spent time downloading the ISO now to upgrade I've to waste some more bandwidth. so ridiculous why they Make the ISO file in first place

It is not really a waste, you can always use the Install DVD in case you have problems later.

And if you've got all your data backed up you can always use the technique to run the update install as a clean install.

Thanks every one,
I successfully installed windows 7 a clean install. Every thing seems fine. My great concern was Virtual PC. Every one is complaining that they can't install or run virtual PC. I've no any problem running virtual PC on 64 bit Win 7 pro. Neither I had problem in windows 7 home premium. I just downloaded virtual pc 2007 64 bit. I don't need to download windows xp mode
wo ho...I love my laptop... :D

Thanks every one,
I successfully installed windows 7 a clean install. Every thing seems fine. My great concern was Virtual PC.

Hi Her0,

Glad to hear that you installed everything just fine. After you've installed XP Mode, there is a video at Link Removed due to 404 Error that explains how to install your older applications.

Ahmad A
Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

Back