Windows 7 I think i may of deleted my dvd drive... help

You might check the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) to see if any errors are showing up for your DVD drive. I am having some problems with the DVD drive on my laptop where is does not show in Computer unless I hit the eject button. It will then show up and shortly disappear without me doing anything else. I have attached a picture of my Event Viewer so you can see what mine shows.

I do not know what is wrong with mine yet, but I am thinking connections or a bad drive. It is not Windows doing it because the drive also disappears from the Bios listing. This information is for illustration and not a request for help...:)

Attachments

• Drive3.GIF
    Drive3.GIF
    40.7 KB · Views: 412
ok i turn my pc off unplugged the dvd drive turned it on then turned it off again plugged it back in then turned it on again. here is a picture of my computer after i did that its the one called mycomputer1.

i then opened device manager and this is what it looks like called device manager.

and here is a picture of disk management named disk management. when i took this there is a cd in the drive

Attachments

• my computer1.PNG
    my computer1.PNG
    461.1 KB · Views: 407
  • device manager.PNG
    device manager.PNG
    322.9 KB · Views: 395
  • disk management.PNG
    disk management.PNG
    309.8 KB · Views: 451
Wow, I've never seen a DVD drive show as well in the device manager like that and then not show under Disk Management.

Here's something to try:

Open Regedit and delete the entire key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then download my attachment and extract it to a folder. Double click on DVD.reg to merge it into the registry.

Reboot and go to Disk Management again to see if it's there.

It may work as I noticed a discrepancy between your key and mine. They should be the same and perhaps this is why. The steps in this post will make it the same and possibly fix it.

Attachments

• DVD.rar
    650 bytes · Views: 192
ok i just did that nothing really seems to of happened here is a screen shot

Attachments

• after dvd.PNG
    after dvd.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 441
Alright. Maybe in your attempts to fix it before you created the thread, cdrom.inf and/or cdrom.sys became corrupt.

You can open an elevated command prompt. Then copy/paste this command to ensure the integrity of all system files and that they are correct:

Code:
sfc /scannow

Reboot when done.

OK, I think I just fixed my problem, and just in case it might help you... The bottom line is a firmware update for my DVD drive (TS-L633B) may have fixed it.

In my case my drive was not being recognized by the Bios. Since I noticed Windows would see the drive if I opened the door, I decided to open the door during boot. This allowed the Bios to see the drive so the drive stayed in the Computer window instead of going away.

I checked the Dell site and noticed comments about Win 7 and a firmware update. Installed it and the system seems to be back to normal, three cold boots and drive is recognized normally.

And one more thing, in some cases, Win 7 has had problems with floppy drives being installed. You might try disconnecting that if the other suggestion does not help.

Good luck with yours...

Last edited:
You may want to see what firmware you currently have. Open msinfo32.exe and check for your current one (see attachment)

The firmware update on the LG site is EL01, and although it is not for Win 7 it should run in Win 7and you might think about running it in compatibility mode, just in case. Any time you update the firmware, there is a chance something might go wrong and ruin your drive. This will have to be your decision.

If you go to Video Help, you can search for a possible OEM version of your drive (LG DVD-RAM GH20SN10) and check there for an update. In your case, it seems the drive has not been rebranded so there is not another manufacturer to check. Even so, the site contains much info about drives and might help with an answer.

You might search for a newer firmware update, but if the one mentioned is the latest or does not correct the situation, and if the firmware is your problem, you might want to think about getting another drive.

Attachments

• DVD.GIF
    DVD.GIF
    45.1 KB · Views: 456
Back