Windows Vista Keyboard Won't Work When Installing

darren22

Hi guys, I am trying to move to Windows Vista from Ubuntu (don't know if that should matter) and when I load the boot DVD I get the first installation page with what language to select and other beginning specifications. However I cannot use my keyboard or my mouse AT ALL. It's like there is nothing plugged in. I am on a Dell Inspiron 1420 n series laptop and I have 4GB ram and 120GB hard-drive. I just don't understand why it will not allow me to install it... does anyone know? Thanks

Check your bios settings to see if keyboard and mouse support are enabled.

I have the same problem!

I was using Windows XP and Ubuntu, in dual boot. Decided to try Vista SP1 but could not instal anyway I tried. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 with 4 GB ram.

It is not related to mouse/keyboard being enabled on the Bios. (why should they not be??)
As I read already, it seems to be something related to extended partitions on the SATA primary drive. In my case, Ubuntu created extended partitions when installed.

As I could not instal Vista, I installed XP again. I still have Ubuntu on the end of the hard disk. I am about to delete all the partitions I have and create just one primary NTFS and try again. But before that I would like to see some opinions about mine and darren22 case.

Thanks!

Try a different usb port. If your plugged in at the front then try at the back. Also many pcs also have a ps2 connection so the keyboard/mouse USB support may not be enabled in the bios. This is usually to allow the device to bring the machine out of sleep or hibernation so I'm not sure that this will be a solution but it's worth just checking...

thank you for the suggestion Kemical, but in my case I am using the built-in keyboard and the touch pad from the notebook.

Also, installing Windows XP, they work fine.

ursoouindio

what exactly do you mean by "Decided to try Vista SP1"??
Was Vista Home Premium not pre-installed on this machine or did you opt for XP as you can with some Dell products??
OR
were you attempting to install Service Pack 1 for Vista from Windows updates
OR
Did you purchase a Vista OS with product key or try a upgrade from XP.

my notebook came with Linux. I did not wanted Windows Vista at first. I did not had the option to get it with Windows XP, so I installed it myself.

I got some troubles with XP (my fault) and after some experience with the new laptop I decided to give a try to Windows Vista.

I got a copy from a Windows Vista SP1 DVD from a friend and want just to test it. If I like it and think that it is better, I can have the license in my university.

But the point now is just to instal it to see how it runs...

i believe it is exactly the same case as darren22's, with the only exception that he had just Linux and I had a XP/Linux dual-boot.

I can't find any specific information around, just that installing Vista on pcs with SATA disk is usually problematic... and there are some problems related to extended partitions on the disk, somehow.

I'm just wondering... if your notebook came with linux pre-installed it might be worth checking the manufacturers site and seeing if there's a bios update or something similar.

I'm just wondering... if your notebook came with linux pre-installed it might be worth checking the manufacturers site and seeing if there's a bios update or something similar.

Yeah, I have the latest version of the Bios installed. I updated it just before starting this venture. Got it when I downloaded the Vista drivers from dell site.

Notebook Dell Inspiron 1525

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo, T7250 (2 GHz)
4 GB Ram
HD 7200 rpm 160 GB
the motherboard has a built-in video (Intel GM965) - Centrino technology
The AHCI controller driver is "Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller"

Try using an external keyboard and mouse. There may be a lack of support for the hardware in the installation.

This is the driver page for your model:

Link Removed - Invalid URL=

The bios update is quite recent is this the one you have?
I also searched the forum and knowlege base without success. It may be worth contacting Dell themselves?

Mikes suggestion may give you chance to at least get vista on which it will then load up it's own drivers ect for your k'board and touchpanel

yes, my Bios is up to date.

I have tried external USB mouse (a simple one from Microsoft and a chordless one from Logitech). The notebook doens't have PS2 connectors. Haven't tried an external keyboard, I don't have a USB one.

I got in touch with Dell last Friday...they should call me today, but I am not seeing it.

As I got informed in other places, it could be related to the MBR of the disk.
When you install Ubuntu, it will change the MBR with its bootloader, GRUB.

It is knowed that Vista does not like different MBRs, so it would not install.

Do you know anything about it?
How can I revert the MBR to the original (Windows) one?

Hey guys I got Vista installed and its great. I had to bring it to my local computer store though and he had to open it up and do something with it. He had to install drivers manually or something. I had tried partitioning the Linux before I installed it and looked on Dell's website to check if the Bios was outdated. At least he got it to work at the computer store.

by this procedure, I have to boot from the Vista DVD... quoting the article:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:1.Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.2.Press a key when you are prompted.3.Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
That is my problem, as I get on the third step I can not click next or anything else.

Any other way to fix it with some application on Windows XP, or even on Ubuntu?

Thanks

Back