Windows 7 Upgrade from Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit using same disk

nitewulf

Honorable Member
I know you can upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit using a custom install. My question though, is I installed Windows 7 32 bit using a retail upgrade disk. I've now decided I want to try 64 bit. Since the upgrade box contained 2 discs (32 & 64 bit), am I free to install the 64 bit on the same computer or would I have to buy a whole new upgrade disc set? It seems like it would let me install the 64 bit which would have it's own key, but I want to make sure.

I know you can upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit using a custom install. My question though, is I installed Windows 7 32 bit using a retail upgrade disk. I've now decided I want to try 64 bit. Since the upgrade box contained 2 discs (32 & 64 bit), am I free to install the 64 bit on the same computer or would I have to buy a whole new upgrade disc set? It seems like it would let me install the 64 bit which would have it's own key, but I want to make sure.

You cannot "upgrade" a 32-bit OS to 64-bit -- a custom install is a clean install for all practical purposes. You can use the same product key regardless of which version is selected and used for install.

You cannot "upgrade" a 32-bit OS to 64-bit -- a custom install is a clean install for all practical purposes. You can use the same product key regardless of which version is selected and used for install.

Jessica,
I realize that going from 32 to 64 is considered a clean install. I guess my question was that even though I've used a 32 bit disk and key to install Windows 7, I can now use the other 64 bit disc and key to perform a full, custom install of 64 bit over the 32 bit version.
If the key is indeed the same for both versions, will I have to convince Microsoft that I made a mistake and really wanted 64 bit or will it just install and activate?

Jessica,
I realize that going from 32 to 64 is considered a clean install. I guess my question was that even though I've used a 32 bit disk and key to install Windows 7, I can now use the other 64 bit disc and key to perform a full, custom install of 64 bit over the 32 bit version.
If the key is indeed the same for both versions, will I have to convince Microsoft that I made a mistake and really wanted 64 bit or will it just install and activate?

You shouldn't have a problem -- just install and activate. If you do have a problem (which, again, I highly doubt) just post back and we can help you from there.

Back
Top Bottom