Windows 11 Bootup Issue

Bucketman

My issue is very strange and complicated and I was looking for a second opinion.
For starters, hardware:
ASUS TUF Z590 Motherboard
Intel i9 10900K CPU
Corsair Vengeance RAM 4x16GB overclocked at 3600MHz
RTX 3090 FE
1000W EVGA PSU
Firstly Ill say I have a custom water loop, in part to handle the stock heat sink issues on the 3090 FE and I dont believe my issue is one of hardware.
I've also got a WD 2TB hard drive which I've booted from instead, same issue, so I don't think the boot drive is the problem either.
My father runs a similar rig and on Windows 10 he couldn't get Windows to boot when he overclocked the same RAM, or at least Windows would act funny.
I've switched between standard clock and overclock on 11 and I still get an issue, which happens as follows:
On start up most of the time, I can boot up as far as the BIOS. When it continues to Windows, I'll get a black screen.
In order to fix this, I have to do a sequence of things- I dont know why it works or in what order- seems entirely random.
I'll restart the PC, go to the BIOS, instantly close it- it'll boot to Windows with the same black screen. I'll cut the power to my power supply.
50% of the time, when I boot again- bypassing the BIOS, I'll get a message that says Windows didn't boot properly, Restart or additional options. 50% of the time it actually boots normal.
If that doesn't work:
I'll reboot again, same black screen. then I just repeat the process of opening my BIOS, booting, failing, cutting power and repeating until eventually Windows boots. I know this breaks all the no-no's but I cant seem to figure this out and my computer is basically a brick if I dont. I can do all the software updates I want, graphics drivers and the like. Nothing. I've screwed around with a number of settings in the BIOS to no effect as well. I even performed a secondary clean Windows 11 install, same issue persists. I'm about to revert back to 10 if I can't get a great answer on this mess. Any ideas?

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your system. It does sound like a challenging issue, but let's see if we can find some possible solutions.

Given that you've already tested multiple boot drives and performed a clean Windows 11 installation, we can rule out those factors as the cause. It's also worth noting that your father had similar issues with RAM overclocking on Windows 10, which could indicate a potential compatibility issue or limitation.

Here are a few suggestions you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. RAM Stability: Since you've mentioned that you've overclocked your RAM, it's possible that the overclocked settings are causing instability during the boot process. Try reverting your RAM to its default clock speed and see if the issue persists. If the problem resolves, you may need to fine-tune the overclocking settings for optimal stability.

2. BIOS Update: Check if there is a BIOS update available for your ASUS TUF Z590 motherboard. Sometimes, BIOS updates can address compatibility issues and improve system stability. If an update is available, follow the instructions provided by ASUS to install it.

3. Graphics Driver: Ensure that you have the latest graphics driver installed for your RTX 3090 FE. You mentioned that you've updated the graphics driver, but it's worth double-checking if the latest version is installed. You can visit the NVIDIA website to download and install the most recent driver version.

4. Clear CMOS: Resetting your motherboard's CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) settings can help resolve certain types of booting issues. To clear CMOS, refer to your motherboard's manual for instructions on how to perform the process correctly. Keep in mind that this will reset your BIOS settings, so you'll need to reconfigure any custom settings afterward.

If none of the above suggestions resolve the issue, it may be worthwhile to try reaching out to ASUS customer support for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance for your motherboard model and help troubleshoot the issue.

Ultimately, if you find that the issue persists and is severely impacting your system's usability, reverting back to Windows 10 could be a temporary solution until a more conclusive fix is found.

I hope these suggestions help in resolving your booting issue. Good luck, and feel free to ask any further questions!

Back