Windows 7 Windows 7 Authoritative time server

hoaasb

I have a private network that has several computers running a different operating system.
I have used Winxp in the past set up as a time server and could run a command on all the otehr computers to sync up with the windows computer.
I cant find any documentation to set up Windows 7 as a time server. The network does not have access to the internet so I need to have this computer as the master time server.
Thanks

As you know, Windows Server and client systems running on a domain network are usually used for this purpose. It may still be possible using GPO's on each client machine. What this entails is accessing gpedit.msc on each client machine, and forcefully pointing said machine to the Windows 7 "NTP Server" you wish to use as the primary host. There are no guarantees, as there is an effort to move away from workgroup-based configurations to the server realm.

Widows 7 Authoritative time server

Thanks for the reply. The other machines on our network are not windows machines we use a real time operating system called QNX they have a program that will sync time with a time server. I have simular nertworks set up using a Windows XP machine and was able to modify the registry to make it a time server that broadcast time on the network.
I tried the same registry changes in Win7 but they don't appear to work. Must be some other registry entry that WinXP doesn't have.

I found the problem;

The client and server were both enabled as well as the VMIC time provider.
I disabled the client and the VMIC Time provider.

The system is working as good as it did with XP now.....

[langtitle=nl]Re: Windows 7 Authoritative time server[/langtitle]

[lang=nl]hoaasb,

Do you have all settings? I like to setup my windows 7 as timeserver too.

Nico.[/lang]

Re: [langtitle=nl]Re: Windows 7 Authoritative time server[/langtitle]

Here are the procedures on how to do it. It is the same as configuring the service for XP with only the last line added for the VMICTimeProvider.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\
In the right pane, right-click AnnounceFlags, and then click Modify.
In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, under Value data, type 5, and then click OK.
Enable NTPServer.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer\
In the right pane, right-click Enabled, and then click Modify.
In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 1 under Value data, and then click OK.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\VMICTimeProvider\
In the right pane, right-click Enabled, and then click Modify
In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 0 under Value data, and then click OK
Exit Registry Editor.
At the command prompt, type the following command to restart the Windows Time service, and then press ENTER:
net stop w32time && net start w32time
To reset the local computers' time against the time server, run the following command on all the computers except the time server:
w32tm /resync /rediscover

Good luck and let me know how you come out.

Brad

You can use special software for synchronization, for example ClockSynchro. Network may be not connected ro internet. Contains ClockSynchroServer and CkockSynchroClient. This program is easy to install and use.
http://clocksynchro.com
On Windows 7 you must run ClockSynchroClient with adminisrtrator permitions ("Run as Administrator")

Back
Top Bottom