Windows 7 Windows cannot access the specified device...

owent92

I searched the forums for an answer but couldnt find any so here it goes.

I downloaded an application and extracted no problem. Then I try to run the Launcher.exe and I get this error:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I checked my permissions and nothing is blocked, I've ran it as an Administrator, and I've done the compatibility check but nothing works.

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of this error message?

When you say that you ran as an Admin does that mean that you unlocked the hidden administrator account, logged in and tried it from there? If you haven't open a command prompt by r-clicking on it and select run as admin. Then type the following to unlock the admin account:
net user administrator /active:yes
Log off and log in under the unlocked account and try it then.

firefox and carbonite along with other programs give me this same problem. I do right click and run as an administrator and when attempting to run the program afterwards still get the error message - "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I am running win 7 ultimate N x64... this is very frustrating and have been trying permissions, ownership and have trouble getting it to run...

Back