Windows Vista Windows Sidebar has stopped working

RIPSNORT

Yes, I've got the joy of Vista Sidebar gone awry. It informs me that "a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.
I've tried the following ...
Regsvr32 -u "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sbdrop.dll" press enter

Regsvr32 -u "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\wlsrvc.dll" press enter

Regsvr32 atl.dll press enter

Regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sbdrop.dll" press enter

Regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\wlsrvc.dll" press enter
-------------------------

But apart from the third one, I get this message ...

Each one of these commands (except the third one) gives this message, "The module "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sbdrop.dll failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .dll files. The specified module could not be found."

Has anyone a fix for this other than a rather large bottle of aspirins?

Hi Ripsnort,

have you considered either system restore or the repair function?

Hi Ripsnort,

have you considered either system restore or the repair function?
--------------

Thanks for the reply. I have considered the System Restore, but can I ask what you mean by the *Repair Function?*

Sure..... If you boot from your vista disk there is an option for 'Repair'. It's not a quick process either and can take around an hour to complete.

Do you recall installing any new software or making any major changes to your system that may have caused the problem?

I do, however agree with Kemical and performing a system restore. If that fails, the Repair option would be my second choice.

I agree w/ the suggestions made but, 1st...

Do I take it you already tried bringing back the Sidebar from the Control Panel? That will often do the trick; There is a Sidebar icon in Control Panel.

Drew
"A scan a day keeps the nasties away."

System Restore does not work. Sidebar in the Control Panel doesn't work. I've booted off #1 Disk (there are four in all) and tapped the F8 till I come up with a list of options. The last thing I saw was System Recovery --- and I exited out of that. Would it not be, that if I hit *next* on that, it would format my hard drive? I didn't see a System repair in the list. Please advise.

System Restore does not work. Sidebar in the Control Panel doesn't work. I've booted off #1 Disk (there are four in all) and tapped the F8 till I come up with a list of options. The last thing I saw was System Recovery --- and I exited out of that. Would it not be, that if I hit *next* on that, it would format my hard drive? I didn't see a System repair in the list. Please advise.

No it shouldn't reformat, System Restore allows for the rolling back of system files, registry keys, installed programs, etc., to a previous state in the event of malfunctioning or failure.

Are using a Vista disk, or OEM restore disk from a PC manufacturer?

No it shouldn't reformat, System Restore allows for the rolling back of system files, registry keys, installed programs, etc., to a previous state in the event of malfunctioning or failure.

Are using a Vista disk, or OEM restore disk from a PC manufacturer?

I understand System Restore will not format. But after saving various Restore points, I notice even that isn't working.
Why I feared a format was because when I put in #1 Disk (Toshiba Product Recovery Satellite P200) and on rebooting, pressed F8 --- it brought me up to a list of things, the first being System Recovery. I believe in okaying that, I would have reformatted the hard drive, and I'd be ready to hurl myself out the basement window. I couldn't find a System Repair on that disk.

If you've got further instructions, please advise. I'll appreciate the help.

Ok I found this Link Removed - Invalid URL

Second post down: "Every Toshiba notebook is delivered with preinstalled operating system. This preinstalled OS is so called “factory state”. When you use delivered recovery CD/DVD for OS installation you will have absolutely the same “factory settings” that you get after first start.

When you start recovery procedure at first the HDD will be erased and new partitions created.
Last step is OS installation. Repair option with recovery installation is not possible."

Bit highlighted is of concern, an should only be performed once you have undertaken total backup of your stuff.

Yo ho Village Idiot --- here's what I did. I took my wife's laptop, copied the files from her Windows Sidebar, and put them in my folder here. Upon rebooting, yes, I've got the Sidebar back again. My question now is, what happened to the files that were in there, i.e. sbdrop.dll etc. It wasn't there, so somehow, it got removed and the sidebar got it's back up I guess and wouldn't come up with Windows. Putting that file back, with several others, it seems to be (at least up to this point) all well.

Any idea as to what would delete those files ... I did run CCleaner but I don't know and wouldn't think that would take those files out of there. I'll await your expertise.

Yo ho Village Idiot --- here's what I did. I took my wife's laptop, copied the files from her Windows Sidebar, and put them in my folder here. Upon rebooting, yes, I've got the Sidebar back again. My question now is, what happened to the files that were in there, i.e. sbdrop.dll etc. It wasn't there, so somehow, it got removed and the sidebar got it's back up I guess and wouldn't come up with Windows. Putting that file back, with several others, it seems to be (at least up to this point) all well.

Any idea as to what would delete those files ... I did run CCleaner but I don't know and wouldn't think that would take those files out of there. I'll await your expertise.

Cool, love the work around mate;) "Up here for thinking down there for dancing" as the saying goes:D

Mate when it comes to computers it's best not to question it, " things work in mesteriouse ways":p Vista should have screamed some warning at you if you were to try an delete it your self, I use CCLeaner my self, never had an issue...yet with it. Only thing I could think of is maybe a side bar widget did some thing?

Thanks for the feedback. I think as you say, that if one tried to figure out why these things happen, one would be hurling oneself out in front of a parked locomotive (parked one is always safer) in despair.

So, it was obviously a missing file issue, but whatever, we've got it figured out. At least I think we have, unless this rig should burst into a ball of flame.

I appreciate your correspondence and help. All the best!

Kemical, thank you for the pointer to the site. Appreciated.

Drew, I know a System Restore will not format. It was the System Recovery that almost threw me. When I got to that point and saw System Recovery instead of System Repair, I backed out and wanted to make sure by asking here on the forum. My other problem here was in not communicating my point very well.
Now I'm learning again that Toshiba doesn't have a System Repair i.e. from the Disk.
And as mentioned earlier, why did certain files disappear in the Windows Sidebar folder is quite well beyond me also. But since that will probably be never known, now one can carry on as though normal.

I appreciate you folks for your help and instuctions. Thank you muchly.

Drew, what I understand from posting # 10, Toshiba does not offer a Repair from either of the four disks I have here. When I booted from Disk 1, I did not see that option either.

I come nearly wiping my hard drive but thought I should back out before I did something weird and wonderful.

What's got me buffaloed is why several files just decided to leave the farm (Windows Sidebar folder). Wish you the best Drew.

Setting your Avatar and Profile Picture

I've got SuperAntiSpyware / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware / LavaSoft Adaware / Norton 360 vs 3 and all up to date and continually doing scans. Still, not to say that something could have slipped in but I don't recall either of these programs finding anything recently.
But somehow, three or four files were totally missing from that directory and I've not been in there before. I'm wondering if the cpu in this thing might spin out of control and the whole laptop roar right out into orbit !!?!

Ripsnort I think your best option would be to do a fresh install. If you can't run the repair utility or system restore then your options are limited...

Ripsnort I think your best option would be to do a fresh install. If you can't run the repair utility or system restore then your options are limited...

Kemical, obviously you missed posting #10 & 11. Number 10 posting shows that one cannot repair from the Disk(s) that come with this Toshiba laptop. In other words, had I hit the enter button on the "System Recovery" I would have had a reformatted hard drive.

Secondly, go back and read #11 posting. Consequently, no need to reformat but all is working flawlessly now. :)

Last edited:
Sorry about that...:redface: Great news though on getting it working.. I'll now go and read how you did it...;)

Sorry about that...:redface: Great news though on getting it working.. I'll now go and read how you did it...;)

Thanks Kemical. It's still weird and wonderful though, why the three or four files in the Windows Sidebar directory were missing. Having two laptops with Vista on it was helpful in getting them restored. :-}

Back
Top Bottom