Windows 7 0x9f BSOD

MGatehouse

I have the same problem: running W7 Pro 64 bit
Kernel Version 6.1.7600.16617 on a desktop.
It started a few days ago: W7 failed to shut-down and I had a report of a BSD [FONT=&quot]1000009f[/FONT], although I had left the computer to shut down and did not see the BSD screen. I'm attaching the minidump.

Since then W7 normally fails to shut down correctly, stalling at the shut-down and I have to power off manually. Next time I start I get the 'Windows failed to shut down correctly' message and offer to start in Safe Mode. Usually Windows will start o.k. in normal mode.

The only thing that occurs is that it may relate to my e-SATA HDD which I use for backup. Normally the last thing I do before shut-down is run the backup program and then switch off the HDD. However, this has never given problems before.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Attachments

• 090610-26769-01.dmp
    452.6 KB · Views: 636
Thanks so much for the super-fast response.

I renamed the PxHlpa64.sys file.
I ran Intel's scan but it didn't identify any drivers requiring update.

I couldn't find a direct download for iaStorV.sys.

The file dates I have currently in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers are:
iastorv.sys v 8.6.2.1012 14/07/2009
iastor.sys v 8.8.0.1009 11/02/2009

I don't actually use Intel Storage Manager, as I have my own Adaptec hardware RAID card which uses its own BIOS, controller and drivers to control my twin RAID-1 hard drives. At boot time my PC reports, correctly, that the Intel RAID controller is not installed.

One other oddity: at present Device Manager reports that my (SATA) CD drives are not functioning. This has occasionally happened before.

I'll now try a shut-down to see what happens, and then boot up again.

Further to my previous:
The good news is:
Windows 7 shut down normally for the first time in days

The bad news is:
My 2 SATA CD drives remain inaccessible (exclamation marks in Device Manager). Are they controlled by PxHlpa64.sys (the driver I renamed to PxHlpa64old.sys)?

That file you renamed is for 3rd party software that could have been uninstalled but there are many possibilities. Renaming like that was simply the easiest thing to do, so good.

It is for the dvd drive and again, great that it's gone, but it is not causing the device manager issue.

This will probably fix your DVD drive issue:

1. Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image
    VistaStartButton.jpg

, and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK. Collapse this imageExpand this image
    SecurityShield.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry Editor.
  12. Restart the computer.
---------

Install this to update iastorv.sys:

A hotfix rollup that improves the reliability and the performance of an Advanced Format disk with a 4KB physical sector size on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 is available

Brilliant! Thanks so much.
I deleted upper and lower filters as indicated, applied the MS hotfix and all seems to be back in order, with CD drives recognised and running and Windows shut-down problem seemingly solved.

Truly it is such a boon to have almost instantaneous and such knowledgeable but also easy-to-follow advice! It's very rare to find anyone willing to interpret a Minidump, and be able to do it with such assurance.

Mike

Sadly, the problem seems not to be resolved after all. After doing my usual back-up last night to my e-SATA external HDD, I clicked to shut-down and Win 7 froze again on the shut-down screen with the circle circling. After 5 minutes or so I left the room and when I came back about 10 mins later the PC had restarted, reporting a Windows error. I was able to log-in as usual and then shut-down normally. I'm attaching the latest minidump.

The good news, though, is that the CD drives remain functional and PXHlpa64.sys has not reappeared.

Attachments

• 090910-23462-01.dmp
    452.1 KB · Views: 539
Thanks: I followed your suggestion and installed the latest Intel RAID driver from Gigatech (my motherboard manuf.), checking that the version number is the same as on Intel's website.
This is the implementation of Intel Rapid Storage Technology, their latest incarnation of the rather flaky Intel Matrix Storage Manager. The version no is 9.6.0.1014.
Sadly, though, the same shut-down problem persists. I still suspect that something has changed in regard to the e-SATA ports such that when Windows attempts to shut down it thinks the drive is still connected and stalls when it cannot find it. I'll experiment with shutting down (a) after a session when the EHDD drive was never turned on; (b) with the EHDD drive still turned on.

090910-23462-01.dmp
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver is causing an inconsistent power state

The drivers listed below should be fine, but some of them are almost a year old and you may want to check for their latest:

LVPr2M64.sys Wed Oct 07 11:26:50 2009
Logitech

hotcore3.sys Tue Nov 17 12:33:07 2009
Paragon Software

snapman.sys Wed Nov 25 19:34:11 2009
Acronis

point64k.sys Fri Oct 16 23:08:03 2009
Microsoft Keyboard and drivers

Thanks: I followed your suggestion and installed the latest Intel RAID driver from Gigatech (my motherboard manuf.), checking that the version number is the same as on Intel's website.
This is the implementation of Intel Rapid Storage Technology, their latest incarnation of the rather flaky Intel Matrix Storage Manager. The version no is 9.6.0.1014.
Sadly, though, the same shut-down problem persists. I still suspect that something has changed in regard to the e-SATA ports such that when Windows attempts to shut down it thinks the drive is still connected and stalls when it cannot find it. I'll experiment with shutting down (a) after a session when the EHDD drive was never turned on; (b) with the EHDD drive still turned on.

Pretty sure it isnt the eSATA implementation, whats the date on the raid driver? Good luck with the tests and let us know the results

Ken J

After further testing:
If I switch on and use the e-SATA HDD, as usual, for backup, then turn it off again, Windows 7 always hangs at shut-down. Depending on how long I leave it hung, it either eventually BSODs with 09f and restarts or, if I switch off at the system unit's power switch, there is no BSOD or minidump, but on next starting I get the offer to start in safe mode screen.

If I don't use the e-SATA HDD or I leave it on until after Windows shut-down, I can shut down normally. Remedy, I suppose, is just to leave it on. Still it's puzzling. After upgrading the Intel RAID software to Rapid Storage Manager, iastors.sys reports v 9.6.0.1014, file-date 03.03.2010. When I switch on the e-SATA HDD, it is visible in the IRSM Console, and when I switch it off, IRSM reports its removal. After switch-off I can't detect any error or sign of Windows still thinking it's there.

The only other possible culprit that occurs is if 'System Protection' is turned on for the e-SATA HDD when this is on.

Curious!

Back