VIDEO $19000 Threadripper VS $5000 i9 12900KS - How BIG is the Performance Difference?

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
:shocked:

$19000 Threadripper VS $5000 i9 12900KS: A Performance Showdown The YouTube video titled "$19000 Threadripper VS $5000 i9 12900KS - How BIG is the Performance Difference?" dives deep into a comparison between two high-end PC builds, highlighting the stark differences in performance, especially in creative tasks. Hosted by a tech enthusiast, the video outlines how a $19,000 build, featuring the powerful AMD Threadripper Pro 3995WX processor, stacks up against a more budget-friendly $5,000 Intel Core i9-12900KS setup.

Key Points of the Comparison​

1. Specifications:
    • $5,000 PC:
      • Intel i9-12900KS with 16 cores (8 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores)
      • One RTX 3090 GPU
      • 32GB DDR5 RAM
      []$19,000 PC:
      • AMD Threadripper Pro 3995WX with 64 cores and 128 threads
      • Two RTX 3090 GPUs
      • 256GB ECC RAM
    []Performance Benchmarks:
    • In Cinebench, the single-core performance significantly favors the i9-12900KS, which is about 70% faster. However, the multi-core performance of the Threadripper is more than double that of the Intel CPU.
    • When it comes to 3D rendering, the Threadripper excels, outperforming the i9 setup almost threefold in benchmarks from applications like Blender and V-Ray, confirming its design intent for resource-heavy creative workflows.
    • Video Editing: Surprisingly, the i9 setup performs comparably in tasks within applications like Adobe Premiere Pro, particularly during live playback, where it is slightly faster due to its integrated GPU.
    []Power Consumption:
    • Both systems display similar power consumption under heavy loads, despite the Threadripper having a much higher TDP rating. The i9's efficiency cores contribute to its lower power draw during idle states.
    [
    ]Use Case Relevance:
    • The video emphasizes that choosing between these two setups should depend on the user's primary tasks. For photo editing, the i9-12900KS shines due to its superior single-core performance. Conversely, the Threadripper is unmatched for 3D rendering and intensive computational workloads, making it the better investment for dedicated creative professionals.
  2. Cost-Effectiveness:
    • The host argues against the notion that spending significantly more money always results in proportionately better performance, especially for common usage scenarios. The $5,000 build is noted to offer excellent performance for diverse tasks while substantially undercutting the cost of the Threadripper build.

Implications for Windows Users​

For members of the WindowsForum community, this comparison presents a critical understanding of performance scaling relative to cost. Users looking to build or upgrade their systems should consider what tasks they most frequently engage in:
      • For gaming and light creative work, the i9-12900KS represents a robust choice.
      • For professional 3D rendering and heavy content creation, investing in a Threadripper setup may prove worthwhile.
      Ultimately, this video encourages potential buyers to assess their needs critically and spend wisely, optimizing their choices for maximum efficiency in their specific workflows. This insightful analysis is a reminder that performance does not always correlate with price and that there are often better options available depending on user requirements. What are your thoughts? Have you considered building a high-end workstation vs. a budget-friendly alternative? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Back