Windows 7 2 threads cant solve my problem

headshot

i've been from this 2 pages:

1. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/8690-desktop-freezes-after-being-idle.html
2. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/6100-desktop-freezes-when-idle.html

and no1 can really solve my problem

from this page (2. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/6100-desktop-freezes-when-idle.html) blizz26 told that:

I figure out whats going on and it is an easy fix. The reason this is doing this is because you need to go and change your power plan. Go to >control panel>power options>select power plan>change plan setting>(I have created >My Custom Plan)>Change Plan settings>Change everything to> never>Change advance power setting>go to each setting and change them to never>hit apply>OK.>Problem solved should be solved. I will post this in the right catagory. I just see alot of people reading this first so I figured to relieve frustration from searching. Heres the fix to the problem. I just joined this site to help fix this problem seeing this is a comon problem with no immediate fix so here it is.....blizz26 (10 yearTechnet Beta Tester)
sure this solves the problem, cos what makes the computer freezes is when "turn off display after" is enabled.

but, i want to use "turn of display after" without any freezes on the desktop

so the bottomline is, how to fix the "Desktop Freeze" on my computer after the display turned back on?

this is my system spec:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

2rqhwg9.jpg

PS. i used "turn off display" setting to 1 minute. so, after like 2 - 4 minutes idle, i press "any key" to my computer, the display turned back on, and the desktop freezes.

any help would be greatly appreciated, and of course,

thanks

Last edited:
Just a shot in the dark, have you tried the 32 bit version. Maybe there's something incompatible. You only have a gig of ram, so I don't think there's a huge advantage running 64 bit windows.

Last edited:
i hereby conclude what makes my desktop freezes is when i checked on "auto-hide the taskbar" setting on taskbar properties and used "turn off display after" setting.

so, these are things that might happen:

1. i disabled "auto-hide the taskbar" and disabled "turn off display after"
with / without any open programs
result: desktop fine

2. i enabled "auto-hide the
taskbar" and disabled "turn off display after"

3. i disabled
"auto-hide the taskbar" and enabled "turn off display after"

4. i enabled
"auto-hide the taskbar" and enabled "turn off display after"
with a/some open program(s)

5. i enabled "auto-hide the taskbar" and enabled "turn off display after"
without any open programs
result: desktop freezes

any1 got ideas?

thanks.

PS.

i havent installed the latest display driver yet. i only now have the Ati Mobility Radeon X1400 from Windows Update, the latest one. i cant find the actual driver for my video card from my manufacturer's site. if som1 can help me with this i would gladly appreciate that.
biggrin.gif

16gk8ja.jpg

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Does the site have a vista driver? If so, use that as it may be a while before a 7version is released..

If you can find a vista driver but not one for 7 then use the vista one... It should work ok and it's what we've been having to do for months although 7 drivers are now appearing more frequently...

You can try vista drivers,,, but......

yea, i have migrated from 32bit cos i think 64bit can solve my issue :D
If you are having this same problem in both OS's,,, then,,,,

1. Hardware problem (Video Card)

2. Driver Problem that no one can fix but the manufacturer (ATI ?)

3. Inadequate Power Supply

4. Bad Ram

5. Bad HDD

6. Bad Mother Board

The problem was the ALPS touchpad driver located on the HP support page
Incompatible drivers are installed......
Only install Manufacturer drivers for ALL Hardware Drivers needed. Do not install any Windows Updates Drivers.
Or you will have to wait till sometime after oct 22 and hope the manufacturers get their shite together.

8. The sun and moon did not align properly with the Front Side Bus and this tweaked the streams to the northbridge. In other words,,, fubar.

To the OP:

Perhaps this is one of those problems that just can't be fixed right now.. It might take a service pack or a patch to fix it.. ;)

I'm curious, are you still using the RC or have you moved on to the RTM? It could be something that is fixed in the RTM (GA).. ;)

8. The sun and moon did not align properly with the Front Side Bus and this tweaked the streams to the northbridge. In other words,,, fubar.

When I read the above I nearly spat coffee all over my k'board I laughed so hard....:D:D

Tepid takes a bow. In the immortal words of Bon Scott, "Thank You, Thank you, we hope you liked the show. Thank you."

And what a band they were.... and still are to some extent but man, early AC/DC rocks!

Sorry to off topic a tad....;)

Yes early AC/DC is the best. I think a lot of songs on Back in Black would sounded much better by Bon than Brian.
I have an early boot leg of back in black that Bon did. Or it sure sounds like him.

I really like that album... It's almost as if Bon was watching over when they made that record.. I'd love to actually hear Bon sing it though..

Oh,, I meant just the Back and Black song itself, that Bon did. it is a very early rough version. But yes, it is too bad.

Back on Topic...... I still say fubar

OP.
Have you looked at the last screen saver options -
settings - display settings?
Whatever you have set for the 3D rendering, try the opposite (Enable/Disable)

"The problem was the ALPS touchpad driver located on the HP support page"

im using synaptic touchpad driver. is that what makes my desktop freeze?

To the OP:

Perhaps this is one of those problems that just can't be fixed right now.. It might take a service pack or a patch to fix it.. ;)

I'm curious, are you still using the RC or have you moved on to the RTM? It could be something that is fixed in the RTM (GA).. ;)
im using the RTM version, Ultimate x64 7600.16385
Oh,, I meant just the Back and Black song itself, that Bon did. it is a very early rough version. But yes, it is too bad.

Back on Topic...... I still say fubar
what is fubar? :confused:
OP.
Have you looked at the last screen saver options -
settings - display settings?
Whatever you have set for the 3D rendering, try the opposite (Enable/Disable)

i never used a screensaver. anyhow, it was enabled, then i try the opposite (disable). still no difference. :frown:

Last edited:
Back