Windows 7 3 Degrees

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Yesterday was spent removing dust from the inside of the pc although the graphics card had fluff crammed right insde the cooler so had to come off. I eventually took the whole cooler off the card to clean it. This meant that on the rebuild some new Thermal compound was needed (which replaced the crappy stuff ATI had used). Imagine my surprise when testing the temps after the rebuild, I had a 3degree reduction!!...

Food for thought....

Depending on what the temps were to begin with this is not much. It is possible that you have some other issues such as inadequate airflow in the case or the fans themselves are failing. I suppose its also possible the heatsink on the card (if it has one) is bad or the card itself is now running hot?

I thought that for just changing the thermal solution that the temp change was actually quite a bit... and i can assure you I have no problems with bad airflow or failing fans!(check pc photo on profile page) The card was running around 45c at idle, now it sits at 42c. As I'm sure your aware for a 4870 this is a very good temp!

Darn 42c huh? I wish. The 8500GT does not go down that low. But, it also seems to be very happy at 50c or more. I assume that cards like you have are built a lot better than what I am using? I will be very interested in seeing the day to day temps. once I have everything in 64bit mode.

Actually Bill thats why I named the article so.... I guess it was supposed to be a 'tongue in cheek' kind of thing....Although it has appeared to have backfired somewhat......:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom