Windows 7 32-bit XP to 32-bit 7 to 64-bit 7?

Jackson6644

This is a somewhat strange problem, but bear with me.

I have a desktop with a 64-bit chip, but was running 32-bit XP. I've got the upgrade (both 32 and 64 discs), but someone in my house (who shall rename nameless) upgraded it with the 32-bit disc, as well as entering the license key.

I'm thinking (hoping) that I'll be able to do a new clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 off of the 64-bit disc, but am I going to run into an issue because the license key has already been entered for the 32-bit version?

Well activation shouldnt be an issue especially if your going to install Windows on the same computer anyway if the online activation failed try the activate through phone option. It should push through.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

yes, you will run into problems because one key activated only one version.

If you try to install the 64-bit version, you will probably get a notice that the key has already for used or is invalid.

This is a somewhat strange problem, but bear with me.

I have a desktop with a 64-bit chip, but was running 32-bit XP. I've got the upgrade (both 32 and 64 discs), but someone in my house (who shall rename nameless) upgraded it with the 32-bit disc, as well as entering the license key.

I'm thinking (hoping) that I'll be able to do a new clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 off of the 64-bit disc, but am I going to run into an issue because the license key has already been entered for the 32-bit version?

Jackson66644,

First off, you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit as the architectures are too drastically different. Second, with the fact that all you have is your upgrade media for Windows 7 and the upgrade product key requires a valid previous installation of Windows XP or Windows Vista you would need a full Windows 7 license if you wished to move to 64-bit.

For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Back