Windows 7 32 bits or 64 bits Windows? Pros and cons?

StefaNafetS

Extraordinary Member
Ive just made an upgrade to my pc. Bought new motherboard , new processor, new graphic card
here are the rellevant links to all my components :

ARK | Intel® Core
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-P61-S3 (rev. 2.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com.ro/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4361#ov

I was previously running 32 bit windows 7 but now since Ive heard I cant used my new installed 4gb ddr3 RAM with 32 version I decide to install the 64 bit.

First thing Ive noticed there are two Program Files directories in my C drive : Program Files and Program files ( x86).They have pretty similar content only that some games and programs are only in x86 directory.So having 64 bits running will reduce your hard disk space.Are all my device drivers capable to run on 64 bits version? So every program I install will be "duplicate" in both of the directories and this will reduce my disk space?
So which are are advantages and disadvantages of running a 64 biti OS ? I intend to upgrade to windows 8 so this question is for it too.

Last edited:
Windows 7 x64 is more secure and can use more memory. The only downside for me was the driver availability, but you seem to have that covered. I don't have a specific percentage for you, but I don't think a x64 install requires twice the hard drive space for each program. Different components are placed in different areas.

As far as Windows 8, your board says it is Windows 8 Ready and it has a UEFI bios and you need an x64 version to use UEFI. I just don't know if the H61 chipset can take advantage of the Windows 8 Secure Boot feature. But this might depend on the OEM.

why Do I need secure boot? if Secure Boot prevents “unauthorized” operating systems and software from loading during the startup process I can do without it.

anyway thnaks alot

Back