Windows 7 32bit installed OEM..but can 64 bit be installed over it

mp3sgt

I am planning on buying a new laptop soon. My big limitation is price. I might have to go for the low range and noticed lots of low range laptops with only 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. I own a copy of the full edition retail Windows 7 Ultimate with both 32 and 64 bit disks. Being that the OEM installed Windows 7 has a valid Windows license key, could I use my 64 bit copy of my ultimate to install 64 bit Windows 7 on the laptop. I have read that Windows 7 is limited in function not by the disk that comes in the package but the license key. Using that information, it means that Windows will automatically limit me to Home Premium with the OEM key but I will have 64 bit. So, has anyone tried this? Or does anyone have a good answer to this. Thanks!

I kind of forgot to mention that I have Ultimate already installed on my desktop. What I have read is that the media is universal, that the product key is the differentiator for version.

the key for ultimate works on either 32 or 64 bit ultimate
the key for pro works on either 32 or 64 bit

a ultimate key won't work for pro and pro key won't work for ultimate.

I understand this. My clarified question is this: Can I use my paid for media to clean install Windows 7 64 using the OEM key provided on a new laptop. I am referring to a laptop that may come with 32 bit 7.

I understand this. My clarified question is this: Can I use my paid for media to clean install Windows 7 64 using the OEM key provided on a new laptop. I am referring to a laptop that may come with 32 bit 7.

Yes. but you need the full version or you will have to do seversl steps to get an upgrade version disk to boot up. My last blog has links to download from Microsoft. You also have to delete ei.cfg before you burn to get the upgrade key to work without tweaking the registry and rebooting and some other trickery.

Back