BlackMailedAgai

Extraordinary Member
I have a
HP KZ854AV-ABA m9300t
4g Ram
300g HDD with@150g in use
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
AMD Radeon HD 6450

-and I would like to see if I can increase the ram. I am unsure if it is one stick, or if it can use more. May I get some help on this. Yes, I could open it up, but my hands don't work well. Some else would have to do any installation. Thank you.

Hi,
From the HP support site:
Memory slots: 4 DIMMS
  • Maximum memory:
    • 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)
    • 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)
    *Actual available memory may be less

Excerpted from the Product Specifications Guide, link available here: HP Pavilion Elite m9300t Product Specifications and Configurable Options | HP® Customer Support

It's worth noting that even though your PC will take 8GB total RAM with 4 sticks of 2GB RAM; you still can't access it all unless your processor chip is a 64bit CPU *which yours appears to be*, AND you are running a 64bit version of Windows (Vista-W10) as well.

There are 4 possible Quad Processors that your model might have, so you'd have to run a diagnostic program such as SPECCY to determine exactly which flavor you have:

**again excerpted from your Product Specifications Guide above; here are the 4 possibilities:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Quad Q6600 (K) (2.4GHz /1066 MHz) 8 MB L2 cache; Quad Core
  • Core 2 Quad Q6700 (K) (2.66GHz /1066 MHz) 2 x 4 MB L2 cache; Quad Core
  • Core 2 Quad Q9300 (Y) (2.5GHz /1333 MHz) 6 MB L2 cache; Duo Core (95W)
  • Core 2 Quad Q9450 (Y) (2.66GHz /1333 MHz) 12 MB L2 cache; Duo Core (95W)
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • It appears that all of these Quad-Core CPUs that any one of these might be inside your current PC are all 64bit processor chips; which is good, in that if you are running a 64bit Windows version as I mention, you could access most if not all of 8GB RAM if you decided to upgrade your PC. You listed your question on the Windows7 forum, so I'm guessing you upgraded your PC from Vista which it came with several years ago. The next question you have to find an answer to is what EXACTLY is your Windows7 version? There are 9 possibilities; but for just Home Users, it's usually Win7 Starter(32bit), Win7 Basic(32bit), Win7 Home(32bit), Win7 Pro(64bit), or Win7 Ultimate (64bit).
If you have one of the 32bit flavors of Win7, it is possible to upgrade to one of the 64bit version, but that will require a complete OS reinstall on your PC, best done by a licensed Computer Pro. Since you state you can't do the work with your hands, it would be best to pay a Tech to open your PC, test it, and install the RAM and even buy it from the Tech if he works in a retail computer store. Then he can upgrade your Win7 to 64bit, and you'd be good to go then with the max RAM your PC can handle, 8GB.

You can expect this whole thing, labor and parts to run about $180-$200 US or so at most computer stores or independent Techs. This is a lot of money to invest in a PC that's going to be 9 years old this year (your PC built in 2008), and only has 1 year of life left in it.:( PCs other than Dell won't last more than 10 years in the majority of cases.:waah: Your PC is teetering on the edge of obsolescence! Of course it's your computer; but for that kind of investment, you can buy a brand new Dell laptop for right around $200 on sale or a Chromebook. If you are not doing online gaming, either of those might make more sense.

Hope this answers your question.:lightbulb:
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Hi,
From the HP support site:
Memory slots: 4 DIMMS
  • Maximum memory:
    • 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)
    • 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)
    *Actual available memory may be less

Excerpted from the Product Specifications Guide, link available here: HP Pavilion Elite m9300t Product Specifications and Configurable Options | HP® Customer Support

It's worth noting that even though your PC will take 8GB total RAM with 4 sticks of 2GB RAM; you still can't access it all unless your processor chip is a 64bit CPU *which yours appears to be*, AND you are running a 64bit version of Windows (Vista-W10) as well.

There are 4 possible Quad Processors that your model might have, so you'd have to run a diagnostic program such as SPECCY to determine exactly which flavor you have:

**again excerpted from your Product Specifications Guide above; here are the 4 possibilities:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Quad Q6600 (K) (2.4GHz /1066 MHz) 8 MB L2 cache; Quad Core
  • Core 2 Quad Q6700 (K) (2.66GHz /1066 MHz) 2 x 4 MB L2 cache; Quad Core
  • Core 2 Quad Q9300 (Y) (2.5GHz /1333 MHz) 6 MB L2 cache; Duo Core (95W)
  • Core 2 Quad Q9450 (Y) (2.66GHz /1333 MHz) 12 MB L2 cache; Duo Core (95W)
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • It appears that all of these Quad-Core CPUs that any one of these might be inside your current PC are all 64bit processor chips; which is good, in that if you are running a 64bit Windows version as I mention, you could access most if not all of 8GB RAM if you decided to upgrade your PC. You listed your question on the Windows7 forum, so I'm guessing you upgraded your PC from Vista which it came with several years ago. The next question you have to find an answer to is what EXACTLY is your Windows7 version? There are 9 possibilities; but for just Home Users, it's usually Win7 Starter(32bit), Win7 Basic(32bit), Win7 Home(32bit), Win7 Pro(64bit), or Win7 Ultimate (64bit).
If you have one of the 32bit flavors of Win7, it is possible to upgrade to one of the 64bit version, but that will require a complete OS reinstall on your PC, best done by a licensed Computer Pro. Since you state you can't do the work with your hands, it would be best to pay a Tech to open your PC, test it, and install the RAM and even buy it from the Tech if he works in a retail computer store. Then he can upgrade your Win7 to 64bit, and you'd be good to go then with the max RAM your PC can handle, 8GB.

You can expect this whole thing, labor and parts to run about $180-$200 US or so at most computer stores or independent Techs. This is a lot of money to invest in a PC that's going to be 9 years old this year (your PC built in 2008), and only has 1 year of life left in it.:( PCs other than Dell won't last more than 10 years in the majority of cases.:waah: Your PC is teetering on the edge of obsolescence! Of course it's your computer; but for that kind of investment, you can buy a brand new Dell laptop for right around $200 on sale or a Chromebook. If you are not doing online gaming, either of those might make more sense.

Hope this answers your question.:lightbulb:
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>
Holy cow what a detailed answer...of which I speak only a small fraction of what you typed. I will do my best to work through all that you wrote. Thank you. As you mention, I am looking towards a refurbished Dell as my computer needs are pretty slight (web surfing watching videos, some simpler games, word processing. I will see what my limited budget allows. Thanks again (I wish I understood more of your response.)

You're welcome.:up: If you are confused by all of this, the short answer is you CAN add the extra 4GB RAM memory to your PC, but ONLY if you have a 64bit version of Windows7 currently installed (usually Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate). If this still confuses you; I urge you to seek the assistance of a licensed Computer Tech at your local repair shop or an independent Tech you get a personal referral for.

Cheers!:bighug:
<<<<BBJ>>>>

Just for some extra info, a lot of times the manufacturer specs are posted based on the currently available hardware. If the memory speed and form factors are available in larger memory modules such as an 8GB stick they will often work. An example on my desktop the motherboard manufacturer listed my board as supporting only 16GBs and I added 32GB and it worked fine.

You're welcome.:up: If you are confused by all of this, the short answer is you CAN add the extra 4GB RAM memory to your PC, but ONLY if you have a 64bit version of Windows7 currently installed (usually Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate). If this still confuses you; I urge you to seek the assistance of a licensed Computer Tech at your local repair shop or an independent Tech you get a personal referral for.

Cheers!:bighug:
<<<<BBJ>>>>
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I have a 64 bit machine. I am considering purchasing a refurbished Dell as I have few requirements. I have had 3 Dells previously and they we little to no problem. I had considered upgrading my older Dell Dimension 3000, but I feel cost might be an issue. Again thanks for the help and advice. Any thoughts on refurbished Dells might be helpful

Just for some extra info, a lot of times the manufacturer specs are posted based on the currently available hardware. If the memory speed and form factors are available in larger memory modules such as an 8GB stick they will often work. An example on my desktop the motherboard manufacturer listed my board as supporting only 16GBs and I added 32GB and it worked fine.
Also good to know. But my machine is getting towards the end of its life, and I am unsure if the extra ram would be useful

neemobeer … i had no idea about this … will keep it in mind.

blackmailedagaibigbearjedi posted some comprehensive info. based on your intent … i'd suggest saving the money. as bbj already pointed out … the pc is entering it's golden years … she's no spring puppy. however … if you decide on going ahead with the plan … you can do it yourself.

just remember take snapshots (close-ups) with your cell-cam before removing the stick(s). do not wear sweater or long-sleeves … always ground your body (touch kitchen stove with finger). and never ever force the part. afterward … allow speccy to affirm your successful install. and, finally, grab a jigger of whiskey … toasting to a job well done!

My desktop computer I am using now is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58 I brought used 2 years ago. Swapped the dual core processor for a Quad Core Q6600 cpu and replaced the two sticks of 2GB RAM with 2 sticks of 4GB RAM.
It came with the GeForce 550 GTX video card and replaced it with a GeForce 750 Ti a year ago. Original 280 watts power supply was pulling out lots of heat and replaced it with a Thermaltake 430 watt power supply. OS is 64 bit Windows 10 Pro upgraded from Windows 7 Pro. No hardware issues. I will give the Lenovo to my wife after I build a all new 32GB computer rig.

Sent from my LON-AL00 using Tapatalk

neemobeer … i had no idea about this … will keep it in mind.

blackmailedagaibigbearjedi posted some comprehensive info. based on your intent … i'd suggest saving the money. as bbj already pointed out … the pc is entering it's golden years … she's no spring puppy. however … if you decide on going ahead with the plan … you can do it yourself.

just remember take snapshots (close-ups) with your cell-cam before removing the stick(s). do not wear sweater or long-sleeves … always ground your body (touch kitchen stove with finger). and never ever force the part. afterward … allow speccy to affirm your successful install. and, finally, grab a jigger of whiskey … toasting to a job well done!

Thanks for the additional input and reminders. Sometimes I forget I used to work as an electronic tech (not computers) long ago.

My desktop computer I am using now is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58 I brought used 2 years ago. Swapped the dual core processor for a Quad Core Q6600 cpu and replaced the two sticks of 2GB RAM with 2 sticks of 4GB RAM.
It came with the GeForce 550 GTX video card and replaced it with a GeForce 750 Ti a year ago. Original 280 watts power supply was pulling out lots of heat and replaced it with a Thermaltake 430 watt power supply. OS is 64 bit Windows 10 Pro upgraded from Windows 7 Pro. No hardware issues. I will give the Lenovo to my wife after I build a all new 32GB computer rig.

Sent from my LON-AL00 using Tapatalk

I am sorry, but I am unable to understand how this has a bearing on my question.

our comrade trstick1 simply offering additional options … even i sometimes forget certain initiatives.

speaking of electronics, blackmailedagai … back in the hay-day, heathkit was a big name … weren't exactly strangers to hobbyists and electronics technicians? the hobbyists were going step-a to step-b … techs were souping up their rigs to do cooler things. hmmm … wonder whatever happened to the company.

best wishes to your endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom