Windows 7 5 computers, but only 4 will share

stevenm

I have 5 PCs all running Win7 Home Premium or better, on a router that is not connected to the internet. I am using a "regular" network to share files among all of them (in their public folders). Every computer can share files with the others, except one. The "bad" one can be seen be the others, but I cannot open anything in it. I have every control panel setting that I can find set exactly the same as the rest, but I keep coming up with a "Windows Security - Enter Network Password" dialog. All 5 machines have the identical workgroup name assigned.

The bad one can see the other PCs, but likewise cannot open anything on them - I just get that dialog.

I have not tried using a "homegroup" though every computer tells me it has joined one. I didn't do that.

As a last resort, on the "bad" PC I joined the homegroup it keeps talking about. Now, at least one other machine is seeing it twice! (but can't get past that dialog on either).

I also turned the firewall off entirely on the "bad" PC; didn't help.

What's going on? How can I fix this? I am not entirely clear on how to set up a homegroup and am not sure I should need to.

THANK YOU in advance for your thoughts on this.

Steve

Not sure what the issue might be but does the prompt look like a typical Windows Credentials prompt or is it perhaps coming from some third party software or appliance on your network?
Typically in the case of a normal credential prompt you would enter the machine name followed by a backslash and then a known good username and password on the machine your are trying to access.
MachineName\UserNameOnThatMachine
PasswordForThatUserOnThatMachine
Check the Box to remember credential (so it's store in the vault)
If you are using a common user name and password across all platforms then Windows Passthrough Authentication should handle the issue for you. Windows 7 does not seem to do well with blank/no password accounts.
Does the problem machine have any unique third party software like firewalls (Comodo or ZoneAlarm) or third party internet security suites like (Symantec/Norton, AVG, McAfee) you may find it easier to uninstall any such products using the programs and features applet in the control panel and then use the vendor specific proprietary removal tool to complete remove all remnants. You can check this list here or google if yours is not in the list.
Consider replacing with Link Removed due to 404 Error and allowing the Windows Firewall to handle the rest.
Welcome to the forums and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Well I resolved the networking issue. It was all my doing (when isn't it?). It turns out I did in fact add a password somewhere in that brand-new PCs set up (I never use passwords), and to make matters worse set up the fingerprint login swipe-thing. Anyway, I got rid of both of them (I guessed the password) and now everything sees and opens everything else. Your input got me thinking in the right direction - thanks!

Steve

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back with your solution.
Again thanks for joining our community, we hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Back