Windows 7 64 bit W7 disc invisible!

kwydjibo

Hello, all. I am trying to do a clean install of windows 7 over xp. When i load the 64 bit disc, xp cannot read it. at boot time, the pc tries to read it then boots to xp.

i tried the 32 bit disc and it works as expected. it boots, is visible, etc.

i happened to purchase 2 copies, and they both behave this way.

the windows upgrade advisor only complained about software i am not interested in reinstalling.

I definitely have a 64 bit machine, and the dvd drive works with other discs (incl the 32 bit W7). i dont want to install the 32 bit version as i have 4gb ram.

cpu: Athlon 7750
dvd: sony dru-500a

thanks in advance

i've read all the howtos... i cant even get -that- far!

thank you for the quick response!

this is windows 7 ultimate, full version, purchased from the MS store. came in a plastic box with two discs, one 32 bit and the other is the 64 bit version.

i have an image and backups of my current xp install. i'd like to just format and install, no easy transfer needed.

when i try to read the 64 bit disc, xp tries for a while and just gives up and acts like the drive is empty. when i try to boot, the drive tries and spins for a bit, but it gives up and boots to xp.

using the 32 bit disc works both as a boot disc and is visible in xp etc. i can even start the transfer-thingy.

for what its worth, i am running 32 bit xp pro. i should still be able to at least -see- the files even if i cant run them. it should also make no difference whatsoever when i try to boot.

googling, i've seen several other people with this same problem, but no real solutions yet.

i thought windows 7 was supposed to be easy :frown:

Last edited:
When i try to boot, the drive spins for a bit, trying to boot, but it gives up and boots to xp.

using the 32 bit disc works both as a boot disc and is visible in xp etc. i can even start the transfer-thingy.
In extremely rare cases, the media can be corrupted. This may also be a hardware issue with your dvd drive.

Can you make an image of 7x64 DVD with for example Daemon Tools or with any program like, just to try to read the disk?

I think that is an exact copy of an article in blogspot.com.?
But is it relevant here?
If the op is reading the 32BIt, but not the 32Bit, then he has no problem with "architecture" The remainder of the article also has no relevance to this problem.
I woud go along with Cybercore's suggestion that you have a bad burn.
I would contact MS store and ask for a replacement.

Just so we are clear, you are not trying to UPGRADE from within XP, are you? You know you have to boot to the DVD. If the x64 version boots, and your system is x64, it should allow you the option of doing a custom install.

corrupted media was my first thought, but both copies of W7 behaves the same way. so if it is a mfg problem it's not just a fluke and one bad dvd.

i've seen many 'boot from usb' suggestions, but xp cannot even see the disc in the drive. other dvds work just fine. like i said, i can boot from the 32 bit disc.

In extremely rare cases, the media can be corrupted. This may also be a hardware issue with your dvd drive.

Can you make an image of 7x64 DVD with for example Daemon Tools or with any program like, just to try to read the disk?

yes, i have backups of my xp and am attempting a clean install.

having the 64 bit disc in the drive acts like theres no disc in the drive at all. hence the 'invisible' title to the OP.

Just so we are clear, you are not trying to UPGRADE from within XP, are you? You know you have to boot to the DVD. If the x64 version boots, and your system is x64, it should allow you the option of doing a custom install.

yes, i have backups of my xp and am attempting a clean install.

having the 64 bit disc in the drive acts like theres no disc in the drive at all. hence the 'invisible' title to the OP.

so you do attempt to *boot* from the 64bit DVD and it doe not work?

when trying to boot with the 64 bit disc, my machine tries to read it, then continues into xp

Hello, all. I am trying to do a clean install of windows 7 over xp. When i load the 64 bit disc, xp cannot read it. at boot time, the pc tries to read it then boots to xp.

Agent Data said:
so you do attempt to *boot* from the 64bit DVD and it doe not work?

okay, sorry did not see that, then you got a compatibility problem - assume you have the latest system bios/DVD firmware installed you probably have the option left to try an external DVD drive and boot from there all provided your hardware is not too old.

Last edited:
okay, sorry did not see that, then you got a compatibility problem - assume you have the latest system bios/DVD firmware installed you probably have the option left to try an external DVD drive and boot from there all provided your hardware is not too old.

motherboard: MCP6P M2+
cpu: AMD Athlon 7750 black

i doubt it's old hardware. also, why would old firmware see one disc and not the other. i can boot from the CentOS, Ubuntu and the W7 32 bit dvds.

i dont have another dvd drive or i would have already tried that.

i'm just looking for any obvious gotchas before trying to plead my case to somebody over the phone to charge me (more :() money for another dvd so i can wait a week to try again.

Last edited:
motherboard: MCP6P M2+
cpu: AMD Athlon 7750 black

i doubt it's old hardware. also, why would old firmware see one disc and not the other. i can boot from the CentOS, Ubuntu and the W7 32 bit dvds.

LINUX 64bit DVD boots fine for you?

i dont have another dvd drive or i would have already tried that.

i'm just looking for any obvious gotchas before trying to plead my case to somebody over the phone to charge me (more :() money for another dvd so i can wait a week to try again.

my point was a USB bootable DVD drive to test the water - maybe another DVD drive brand can do it (maybe borrow one). You are free consult paid support but I doubt you will have a better outcome.

QUOTE=Agent Data;152265]you are very wrong here - you just can't read a 64bit OS DVD in a 32bit OS[/QUOTE]

That is a joke..Right?
How does this look? The DVD is Windows 7 64Bit. The OS which I am using here is 32Bit.

Link Removed due to 404 Error[

So noone can install a 64Bit OS from a DVD, unless they already have a 64 Bit installed?? LOL

If your DVD drive reads all dvds except 7x64 one, then the problem can be with your hardware. Exactly what Agent Data has pointed to:

, then you got a compatibility problem - assume you have the latest system bios/DVD firmware installed you probably have the option left to try an external DVD drive and boot from there all provided your hardware is not too old.
I would also try to read the dvd with a software like BurnAware. 'Make DVD image' to see if your drive can actually read it. If not, then:

1. Hardware issue ? Upgrade your bios to latest, or replace your dvd drive if it's too old.
2. The disk is not readable ? You may contact Microsoft support and ask for the dvd media replacement.
3. If your boot device priority is set right, you should see "Press any key to boot," which I understand from your post that you do.

QUOTE=Agent Data;152265]you are very wrong here - you just can't read a 64bit OS DVD in a 32bit OS

That is a joke..Right?
How does this look? The DVD is Windows 7 64Bit. The OS which I am using here is 32Bit.

Link Removed due to 404 Error[

So noone can install a 64Bit OS from a DVD, unless they already have a 64 Bit installed?? LOL[/QUOTE]
Your previous post which I quoted, was bad information to a reader and totally wrong. I was emphasising this so noone would be misinformed.

LINUX 64bit DVD boots fine for you?

i am making this post via a Ubuntu 64 bit live cd.

my point was a USB bootable DVD drive to test the water - maybe another DVD drive brand can do it (maybe borrow one). You are free consult paid support but I doubt you will have a better outcome.

borrowing a dvd might be an option in order to pursue the one variable i havent been able to eliminate: the dvd drive (which has the latest firmware, 2.1a was the newest i could find, and already had). i'll start asking people to borrow their dvd, lol i dont want to spend anymore money to fix this out of the principle of the thing.

having been there once, i will concede that paid support is a joke. i already paid through the nose for w7. i'd consider taking it back for my $400, but i had to open the boxes to find out they dont work! i tried having this argument a few times with retailers in the past.

"Sorry, the minimum system requirements are on the box, we cannot refund opened software"

"My PC exceeds the system reqs, and it still doesn't work."

"Then you need to speak with the manufacturer."

"I didnt purchase it from the manufacturer, i bought it from you and it doesn't work as advertised. i want my money back.

"Sorry, we cannot refund opened software."

rinse, repeat until nauseous.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I'm not faulting the people who have freely spent their time and energy to try and help a poor MS sucker out. I'm just trying to figure out how MS convinced most of us that their overpriced software and draconian business practices are worth all this bending over backwards to get their flagship OS to work.

This whole 'incompatible hardware' jive was why i stayed away from vista. Now it's more of the same. Even if you DONT have incompatible hardware, your hardware still may be incompatible.

if MS wants to justify it's ridiculous pricing, they need their product to work a tad better than this. Suggesting to my mom to 'just do a usb flash drive boot' is NOT a solution. Thats something we linux admins have to do to get some wierd motherboard or somesuch to do what we want. It's not a valid install path for something that every-short-attention-span commercial i've seen touts it's super-duper usability.

maybe my whole rant will be moot once/if i find another dvd drive that likes these specific discs.

borrowing a dvd might be an option in order to pursue the one variable i havent been able to eliminate:.....

and while you are at it take your 7-64 DVD to a friend and try to boot over there - preferably if you know one with recent hardware. This way you can verify the DVD is working and not a dud.

and just another plea please update the system bios if it is outdated - it may well flip the switch.

Back