Windows 8 8.1

Thanks Clark.
Was just checking as I had seen the issue mentioned on another forum and when I checked, mine was doing the same thing.
I would have never noticed otherwise since I rarely use any of those apps anyway.
Regards
Randy

Still getting 107 errors (DCOM 10016) whenever I open the Bing Weather app. I was hoping the public release of the update would have taken care of that problem.

Yes it's true that Windows 7 is a new OS though very similar to Windows Vista. Windows 8 is actually very similar to Windows 7 except it's got the Metro theme. But then you can use Classic shell to by pass that. So windows 8.1 is a new OS I take it but I think it is very similar if not almost the same as Windows 8.

But a few features have been dropped from 8.1 such as Windows back up which is a shame as I have been using that to restore my files. One thing I don't like is the integration with Windows Live Sky Drive in Windows Explorer. But if you use a local account then I think you can keep it disabled. As I am using windows 8 Pro on a netbook that used to have Windows 7 Starter,I won't be able to update via the Windows Store. as Metro apps don't work on my netbook. So it's either Windows Update or buy the DVD.

..............a few features have been dropped from 8.1 such as Windows back up which is a shame...............

You can still do file backup.
Go to Charm bar > Start > type File History > click it > turn File history on or off.

But a few features have been dropped from 8.1 such as Windows back up which is a shame as I have been using that to restore my files. One thing I don't like is the integration with Windows Live Sky Drive in Windows Explorer. But if you use a local account then I think you can keep it disabled. As I am using windows 8 Pro on a netbook that used to have Windows 7 Starter,I won't be able to update via the Windows Store. as Metro apps don't work on my netbook. So it's either Windows Update or buy the DVD.

Microsoft killed the Windows Live family of products last year, it's simply known as SkyDrive now. Are you able to access the store at all? The store is only used to download the update, not install it.

Mitchell said:
Microsoft killed the Windows Live family of products last year, it's simply known as SkyDrive now. Are you able to access the store at all? The store is only used to download the update, not install it.
No I cannot unless maybe I got online in a web browser to the Windows Store on the Microsoft website. On my netbook the highest screen resolution I have is 1024x600. And you need at least 7000 screen resolution to run Metro apps. As the Windows Store is a Metro app it won''t run. So the only way is maybe though Windows Update, but it says on the web that Microsoft are not doing it that way,only though the Windows Store.

That's right. You can buy a full installation DVD of Windows 8.1 and install it on any PC. But as I have got windows 8 I don't really need to as I can carry on using that. The upgrade to Windows 8.1 won't be mandatory until 2 years time I read.

I'll bet the Down Scaling registry setting could be used to tweak your resolution in order to get the update. I'm not going to go into details here you can find it on Google.

I though you could get the update through Windows Update but I don't think so. You can run Windows 8 on a netbook but the only thing is that the Metro apps won't work. Because you need a screen resolution of at least 7000. But all of the software you use on Windows 7 and Windows XP will work. And you can stil use Windows Update and other features. What's this about registry edit?

Well here is a screenshot of my Netbook screen resolution settings. Click to enlarge.
As you can see 1024X600 pixles is the highest it will go. Which is to low to rum Metro apps.

Screen resolution..JPG

Wouldn't I just love a resolution up there!

But, seriously. Andrea. Are you sure you are not running on a generic graphics driver? Have a look in the device manager and see if you can do an update.

It may just be her netbook screen size doesn't support it. It does happen.. kind of lame for MS to then issue a free update via Store only and not Microsoft Update..

There is a registry setting as I briefly mentioned above that will most likely allow her netbook to barely go over the needed resolution if not temporarily to get the update. I will not go into detail here as I suppose it would be possible to "eff" it up and then her resolution get all wonky. So she can Google for it and make that decesion for herself, but I would recommend a system restore point before attempting!

Okay here are some more screenshots of my Windows 8 Pro running on my netbook. As you can see I have the Windows XP or Windows 7 desktop and start menu-Thanks to Classic shell. The software I have is ordinary software I use on windows 7-No metro apps.

The one Metro app I have is Apps Store which as you can see won't run on my netbook. In my other image you see it says screen resolution is too low to run Metro apps. But it won't go any higher on a netbook.

I have seen Windows 8 laptops in the shops which have the Metro apps and I was not impress. So I don't think you are missing anything not having the Metro apps.Why do we need them anyway when we can run ordinary software on Windows 8?

Windows 8 Pro2.JPG
Screen res-Win8.JPG
App store-win8.JPG

P.S. I had the same issue when I had Win 8 Pro installed in a 5 years old Dell Inspiron 1420, 15.3 inch screen, 2GB Ram.
Every app I opened told me the resolution was too low, and I had to change it every time.
Don't remember what I did, but the issue disappear later on.

Perhaps, attaching a 2nd monitor to remedy the situation?

Last edited:
Yes but it's the highest it will go. It's the same with all netbooks. Don't forget I am running Windows 8 on a netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter 32 bit when I bought it. It also has only 1GB of ram,so it cannot run 64 bit Windows. I have Windows 8 Pro 32 bit.

Screenres3.JPG

Back