Windows 8 8.1

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
OK...just updated my laptop from 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro through the store. That was the longest OS update I've been through....1 hour and 55 minutes. Mind you this laptop is a dual boot setup, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

There is no option to customize the update to do a clean install like you could with windows 8 upgrade, that I could find.

As of this moment, everything seems to be working as is should.

I just started downloading mine, but it does seem to be downloading at a good rate. Once the download finishes, I will try to time the install, but I do just have a basic installation...

Just finished the update. It took 55 minutes total with 25 minutes of that for the download.

The install forces you back into the Microsoft account for logon. You might be able to disconnect from the network after the download, but I did not try. Of course, if you want to go back you your local account, you have to use the Disconnect option from user settings.

The install puts you in a Homegroup, and sets the Network adapter to wake your system (possibly just the default setting).

The update from the Store did know I was running 8 Pro w/Media Center, so I did not have to reinstall that. No extra keys were needed for any part of the Update.

My opinion of 8.1 so far.. it tried to con me into changing to a Microsoft account instead of a local account, had to hit the "sign up for an account" THEN choose continue using my local account.
The start button is a joke, classic shell will remain on my machines. The download is insanely large.. and the setup told me "Setting up a few more things" which I thought was childish ;)

After the install I noticed most of my text and icons were blurry/fuzzy and hard to read or look at. I found a resolution which is posted here.

My opinion of 8.1 so far.. it tried to con me into changing to a Microsoft account instead of a local account, had to hit the "sign up for an account" THEN choose continue using my local account.
The start button is a joke, classic shell will remain on my machines. The download is insanely large.. and the setup told me "Setting up a few more things" which I thought was childish ;)

After the install I noticed most of my text and icons were blurry/fuzzy and hard to read or look at. I found a resolution which is posted here.

Oh, I though that you didn't have to have a Microsoft account in the final release of Windows 8.1. If that's the case then I won't install it. As I don't have any passwords with my Windows 8. I just have a normal administrator account on 8,same as I do on Windows 7 with no password. But I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 yet as I don't see the need to. I am quite happy with Windows 8 Pro.

Actually Bassfisher you don't have to install Windows 8.1 as an update though the apps store. You can buy Windows 8.1 Pro as a full install DVD and do a clean install. Though I don't think it goes out on sale until the 18th which is tomorrow.

Oh, I though that you didn't have to have a Microsoft account in the final release of Windows 8.1. If that's the case then I won't install it. As I don't have any passwords with my Windows 8. I just have a normal administrator account on 8,same as I do on Windows 7 with no password. But I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 yet as I don't see the need to. I am quite happy with Windows 8 Pro.

Actually Bassfisher you don't have to install Windows 8.1 as an update though the apps store. You can buy Windows 8.1 Pro as a full install DVD and do a clean install. Though I don't think it goes out on sale until the 18th which is tomorrow.
Eventually it will be a forced upgrade. Like Josephur said, there is a way around using a microsoft account. I had a few minor issues (my desktop background was gone, a couple icons pinned to the taskbar didn't work, including IE). It was an easy fix. I haven't tried any apps yet.

BTW, Classic Shell Start Menu still works fine.

You don't have to have a Microsoft account, it just attempts to get you to signup for one by being a little sneaky and hiding the "Continue using my local account" option under the "Sign up for an account" link. You would think it would simply be right there instead of making the user assume they MUST have a Microsoft account.

Anyone else besides me experiencing a broken "Photos" app, post update. It opens for a few seconds and then crashes.

I am currently installing 8.1 pro upgrade. Been stuck on 'Next you'll set up your account' screen. Been there for 25 minutes so far!!!! Did others have a long wait there? I am using a local account, not a MS one.

45 minutes - given up, Going back to Win 8, change account to my MS one and try again!

Installed using MS account. Then changed back to local account after installation!

Last edited:
Well it said on the install page of Windows 8.1 Preview that we had to use a Microsoft account in the Preview. But in the retail version we could use a local account if we wished,same as on Windows 8. Unless they have changed it.

Yes I read on the web on other sites that we do have to install Windows 8.1 if we are running Windows 8. The same as you have to install Service Pack 1 if you are running Windows 7. Yet what is confusing is they don't make it clear if Windows 8.1 is a new OS or just a service pack.

You don't have to have a Microsoft account, it just attempts to get you to signup for one by being a little sneaky and hiding the "Continue using my local account" option under the "Sign up for an account" link. You would think it would simply be right there instead of making the user assume they MUST have a Microsoft account.

So how do you find the option to set up Windows 8.1 with a local account if it isn't there?

He said the he clicked the option to sign up for a new account, and the option was there. I didn't try it though, as I already logged in with my microsoft account.

I thought I had clearly stated that twice, as it was a pet peeve of mine when upgrading...

Microsoft has a tutorial here step by step Andrea: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

The screen I'm speaking of looks like this:
mltflk.png

As you can see it states if you don't have an account you can click to create a new account, or view the privacy setting. But the option to continue to use a local account is actually tucked under "Create a new account", which I find to be very poor judgement on Microsoft's part. I know why they did it, lets get a few more million people to sign up for Microsoft Accounts... but I don't think its a nice gesture.

At least they show you how to get around and use your local account still in the aforementioned tutorial link above.

Thanks Josephur why didn't you just say that in the first place. At least we know now we don't have to have a Microsoft account. I would not have upgraded if we had t. At the moment I am still on Windows 8 Pro. I can't see it worth installing a new operating system just yet. It said on the web we have 2 years before they make upgrade mandatory. So we can still stay on Windows 8.

I said it in every post, check your reading glasses ;)

54 minutes ago: "You don't have to have a Microsoft account, it just attempts to get you to signup for one by being a little sneaky"

33 minutes ago: "I thought I had clearly stated that twice, as it was a pet peeve of mine when upgrading..."
(in response to BigFeet's comment "He said the he clicked the option to sign up for a new account, and the option was there.")

I agree it is NOT a new OS, its basically a Service Pack, and so far I'm not too thrilled with it. I hope there was enough back end re-coding to allow performance to shine even better, that would make sense. But as large as the download is (what was it 3GB or so), I'm not impressed thus far.

FFS....it's a new OS...if not it wouldn't be sold as a retail DVD 8.1 (core) and 8.1 Pro with the pricing as any OS before 8.1 ($149.99 (core) and $199.99 Pro).

http://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

It's a new OS being offered through the MS store to those that have windows 8 all ready. It's the same deal as Vista had...when people said that about windows Vista, that Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. Then offering the Vista users to an upgrade version for a significant discount and free to others if they bought a qualifying PC/laptop with in a certain time period. It's the same thing with Windows 8.1 upgrade....

Anyone else besides me experiencing a broken "Photos" app, post update. It opens for a few seconds and then crashes.
My app opens fine, but I do not have any pictures on the system. I do notice the library includes SkyDrive, do you have any pictures on it?

Maybe renewing the libraries for the app would help.

Back