Windows 8 8.1

Andrea borman

Sent from my iPhone using WindowsForum

Thanks, glad you like my Windows XP look desktop on Windows 8. If you though that was coll how about this-
I got WMP 9 from Windows XP working on my Windows 8 Pro 32 bit.

WMP9 on Windows 8 Pro..JPG
WMP9 Win 82.JPG

You seem to have got what you need, but, fwiw, you can download Windows media Player for windows 8 from the store

Well we already have WMP 12 for Windows 8,the same one that's on Windows 7. To install it go to Programs,Turn Windows Features On Or Off then tick media and Windows Media Player and it will install or upgrade your existing version of WMP to WMP 12. Though I read on another thread here that there is a Metro version of WMP but I won't be able to run that on my netbook. But the normal version WMP12 works. I found out how to get WMP9 installed and is working on Windows 7 and 8 from this video here.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you had installed the XP version as you did not have the included. Media player is not included in certain releases, mainly European, for political reasons.
But, just curiosity, what compelled you to use the XP version?

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you had installed the XP version as you did not have the included. Media player is not included in certain releases, mainly European, for political reasons.
But, just curiosity, what compelled you to use the XP version?
I just wanted to see if I could. Also WMP9 is better looking than WMP11 or WMP 12 but the disadvantage of it is it won't play FLV files as WMP11 and the later versions do. I tried WMP11 for Windows 7 which also woks on Windows 8. Though that was more like a retarded version of WMP11 because visualizations did not work,neither did the taskbar toolbar.

So whoever made that version did not do a very good job,also that is no longer available as the site has deleted that file! Where as WMP 9 download from Microsoft has all the original features such as the taskbar toolbar and visualizations working on Windows 8 and Windows 7.

Though now I am back on WMP12 because I am using Microsoft Photo Story 3 which requires WMP12 to run it. Here is the video where I found out about WMP11 for Windows 7.

No I cannot unless maybe I got online in a web browser to the Windows Store on the Microsoft website. On my netbook the highest screen resolution I have is 1024x600. And you need at least 7000 screen resolution to run Metro apps. As the Windows Store is a Metro app it won''t run. So the only way is maybe though Windows Update, but it says on the web that Microsoft are not doing it that way,only though the Windows Store.
What netbook do you have? I was able to install Win 8 and 8.1 on my Acer Aspire One netbook and run Metro apps. It's true that Metro apps require at least 1024x768 resolution and my netbook, by default, doesn't allow setting the resolution that high. Here's how I got around that:
  1. Run REGEDIT
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
  3. Do a search for "Display1_DownScalingSupported"
  4. In the key containing "Display1_DownScalingSupported", set the value to 1
  5. Quit REGEDIT and reboot the netbook
  6. After rebooting you will now be able to change the display resolution to 1024 x 768
My netbook originally came with Win XP but I have run it with Win 7 Pro, Win 8 Pro and now Win 8.1 Pro. I think it runs better with Win 8.1 than it ever did with XP.

I know you said you did this but it didn't work. The registry tweak does not change the resolution but will allow you to change the resolution to a higher setting. After updating the registry, you need to first reboot, then change the resolution to 1024x768 and then you should be able to run Metro apps.

Last edited:
It's an MSI Wind Netbook, only this is a newer one that came with Windows 7 Starter. I have tried other Metro Apps after I did the regedit,none of them worked. The same thing happened,my screen turned black,then my computer shut down. So there is no way to run them on that netbook. Also one more question,if you do the upgrade though the Apps Store does your old install of Windows 8 go into a Windows Old folder,same as it does if you upgrade from the install DVD?

To answer your question....Yes it does.
Oh,well that's a disadvantage as Windows Old Folders take up a lot of space on your hard drive. So what your saying is that the update from the Apps Store won't let you do a clean install and format the HD in the process as I normally do?

There is another way to try Windows 8.1 if you want to see if it will work on your laptop or just want to try it. You can download the RTM version from Technet which is free in install. You can use Windows 8.1 RTM for 3 months-90 days, after which time it will expire. Though it's another way ti try Windows 8.1 before deciding if you want to upgrade or not. The only disafvantage in that is you must have a Microsoft account to use Windows 8.1 RTM as it does not support local account log in as the retail version does.

Oh,well that's a disadvantage as Windows Old Folders take up a lot of space on your hard drive.

It's that way with any Windows OS upgrade.

So what your saying is that the update from the Apps Store won't let you do a clean install and format the HD in the process as I normally do?

Correct!

You can download the RTM version from Technet which is free in install.

No.... you can not download the RTM from TechNet/MSDN without actually having a subscription to either.

Windows 8.1 RTM for 3 months-90 days, after which time it will expire.

This only pertains to the Enterprise version or the Preview version.

The only disafvantage in that is you must have a Microsoft account to use Windows 8.1 RTM as it does not support local account log in as the retail version does.

NO...wrong again. The Microsoft account vs local account has nothing to do with using the RTM version. It has to do with using special features built in to the OS. Just to name a couple, being able to sync settings and being able to use some of the MS apps.

The RTM and Retail versions are one in the same....RTM stands for Release to Manufacturer. That is, the branded PC builders like HP, Dell, Asus, they get it first. The GA is General Availability which is released to the general public either through download or purchasing. Then there's the matter of Retail version vs OEM...and since the release of windows 8/8.1 has been one big mess after another with the way MS has rewritten the EULA and licencing agreements. It's just plain confusing now, even for us Tech's/enthusiast's.

There is a way to download the ISO from the app store, see here: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...nload-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/

Although the Windows.old folder takes up space on your hard drive, that space can be recovered after the install by running Disk Cleanup and selecting the option to "Clean up system files". Of course if you're really tight on disk space there may not be enough room to fit the new install and the windows.old folder.

There is a way to download the ISO from the app store, see here: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...nload-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/

Although the Windows.old folder takes up space on your hard drive, that space can be recovered after the install by running Disk Cleanup and selecting the option to "Clean up system files". Of course if you're really tight on disk space there may not be enough room to fit the new install and the windows.old folder.
I have seen the process to download and create an .iso file. I suppose the fact they call it a "Trick" would keep me from using it, for now. But prior experience shows a .iso file made that way would not be UEFI bootable. I wonder if it is still true for the 8.1 version. I suppose I could justify using the Trick for "Testing" purposes... :sneakiness:

As far as running Disk Cleanup, I could almost swear the files mentioned disappeared, without intervention, from my system a few days after the update. Has anyone noticed such a thing?

Edit: Oh, it does say you cannot use that .iso for a clean install of 8.1 using your Windows 8 key.. I suppose there was some reason Microsoft called this a different OS number instead of an SP number.

Last edited:
Basfisher said:
No.... you can not download the RTM from TechNet/MSDN without actually having a subscription to either.
But I can and I have done. You don't have to have a paid subscription to download Windows 8.1 RTM Enterprise build. You only have to log into Tecknet with your Windows live Account. Then it let me download and burn the ISO to a DVD.

You don't have to have a paid subscription to download Windows 8.1 RTM Enterprise build

Again....wrong...although you can get the Enterprise version along the Preview version....they're still a trial versions that will expire. NOT the actual RTM version, which doesn't expire.

It's RTM but it's only an evaluation. Where as proper technet\msdn subsrcibers can download the full versions.

It's RTM but it's only an evaluation. Where as proper technet\msdn subsrcibers can download the full versions.
Yes I know. But a Technet or MSDN subscription costs about £600 a year which I cannot afford. The RTM version is free and can be used for 3 months. It is a good idea if you want to try Windows 8.1. Then you can decided if you want to install the permanent version or not.

Back