Windows 10 89D1 file

lakshmi morisetty

all my files in the computer are converted to 89D1 files. how to convert them back top normal.
is there any default setting that went wrong?
Can this happen after the updates and if so whats the solution now?
please help..

Did this happen to only data files? (ex doc, docx, jpg, pdf etc). Try manually renaming the file back to what it is suppose to and try and open it. If it's all garbage you may have been hit by ransomware. Did you get any popups telling you your files are encrypted?

Hi

This is really weird, usually if something like this happens to someone, it's happened to someone else before.

I can't find anything about a .89D1 file extension.

You should try what Neemo suggested, but this is where it's a good idea to have you data backed up.

Try running Malwarebytes and see of it finds some kind of Malware.

Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

Download the free one.

Mike

Hi, found this link here to a symbol in a Chinese Character set: Unicode Han Character 'peep at; watch, spy on' (U+89D1)

Not sure what this means, but it looks like some kind of virus from China (tons of these floating around), and it's now very common for viruses from China, India, and Pakistan to change your language on your computer or facebook accounts. I've seen a few of these; about 95% certain you have a virus on your computer.

Best thing to do is to use more Advanced repair methods such as Windows Reset or complete Windows Reinstallation from Factory Recovery Media after a complete drive erasure. [MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA FILES TO EXTERNAL MEDIA, AS MORE AGGRESSIVE SOFTWARE REPAIRS CAN OFTEN LEAD TO IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!]

Using Advanced repair methods will definitely take care of this problem; but checking for Ransomware note is a good idea, because if you haven't got a good backup PRIOR to the virus attacking your system, you're still going to be faced with all your files being encrypted and locked and without paying the Ransom to the Hacker, you'll have to take your computer into your local Computer Pro and pay them to fix it.:waah: Either way, you're going to be out hundreds of dollars to fix this problem!:pirate: :cash:

Best of luck,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi

It's because of things like this that I keep pushing people to make a System Image of their C:\ drive.
I use EaseUS Todo backup, (from China believe it or not) and it works great.

It's free and very easy to use.

Download free data backup software - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

It has saved me multiple times and for me takes only about 22 minutes to completely restore my Windows installation Boot Sector and all, as opposed to hours of trying to fix some corruption or malware issue.

Once you get your computer straightened out, be sure to make a System Image.
Your data should all be stored on a different drive or partition then Windows and backed up to an external drive )or a DVD or flash drive if it isn't a lot of stuff).

Mike

Did this happen to only data files? (ex doc, docx, jpg, pdf etc). Try manually renaming the file back to what it is suppose to and try and open it. If it's all garbage you may have been hit by ransomware. Did you get any popups telling you your files are encrypted?
Yes it happened to only data files.
I tried to rename it but nothing changed. yes I received a pop up about ransomware.. can that be fixed?
thank you

Hi, found this link here to a symbol in a Chinese Character set: Unicode Han Character 'peep at; watch, spy on' (U+89D1)

Not sure what this means, but it looks like some kind of virus from China (tons of these floating around), and it's now very common for viruses from China, India, and Pakistan to change your language on your computer or facebook accounts. I've seen a few of these; about 95% certain you have a virus on your computer.

Best thing to do is to use more Advanced repair methods such as Windows Reset or complete Windows Reinstallation from Factory Recovery Media after a complete drive erasure. [MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA FILES TO EXTERNAL MEDIA, AS MORE AGGRESSIVE SOFTWARE REPAIRS CAN OFTEN LEAD TO IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!]

Using Advanced repair methods will definitely take care of this problem; but checking for Ransomware note is a good idea, because if you haven't got a good backup PRIOR to the virus attacking your system, you're still going to be faced with all your files being encrypted and locked and without paying the Ransom to the Hacker, you'll have to take your computer into your local Computer Pro and pay them to fix it.:waah: Either way, you're going to be out hundreds of dollars to fix this problem!:pirate: :cash:

Best of luck,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Thank you, I approached the local tech to get it repaired.

Hi

I have a friend who was superintendent of local school system.
They had their computers held up by Russian hackers.

They had to pay thousands in ransom or lose all their data.

Then they got pros to come in and protect their system.

Now they have all their data set up so everything gets backed up off line.

And that's why everyone should have everything importent backed up off of their computer, and a system image of their C:\ drive.

If you don't eventually you will lose data, either through malware, corruption or hardware failure.

I once had to spend over a day redoing a job because I didn't make a backup copy while I was working on it.

The file got corrupted and that was it. Now I save anything I'm working on twice every time I save.

I have been hit by lightning twice, how is that for bad luck?

Now I always turn my computer off when not in use and unplug it when I'm away.
You can't be too safe with things you can't afford to lose.

Mike

Last edited:
If you don't have a backup of your data your only options are to pay the ransom or re-install Windows.

i gotta' agree with the consensus here, lakshmi … always keep personal files backed up … reinstall the original software … malwarebytes does have anti-ransom software … there''s other software globally that might take a stab at curing your scourge. i had tried pointing someone along the path just couple weeks ago here at windowsforum:
Windows 10 - .b8b0 file format
*.b8b0 file format
hangul syllable roe (U+B8B0)

i'd suggest a couple things, lakshmi.
  1. make sure your file-explorer is showing file extensions.
  2. try opening one of the images in windows-paint (try to make sure it's a jpg).
  3. open the image(small size) in windows' notepad text-editor.
when you open the image in noptepad … you are looking for the code (not an image). principally, check the first line of code … is there a "jfif" present in the first few characters? open two more image-files in notepad. if you see jfif or png or gif or bmp … these are all valid image extensions. and … chances are very good the files were only renamed and not encrypted.

if you aren't sure how to open an image with text-editor (notepad) … open notepad … drag the image's icon into the blank notepad document. once done, you should be staring at the code. as illustrated below:
Code:
ÿØÿà JFIF     ÿÛ C ÿÛ CÿÀ È  " ÿÄ            
ÿÄ µ   } !1AQa"q2‘¡#B±ÁRÑð$3br‚ 
%&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyzƒ
„…†‡ˆ‰Š’“”•–—˜™š¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª²³´µ¶·¸
¹ºÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚáâãäåæçèéêñòóôõö÷øùúÿÄ        
ÿÄ µ w !1AQaq"2B‘¡±Á    #3RðbrÑ
$4á%ñ&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz‚ƒ„…
†‡ˆ‰Š’“”•–—

note on first line "jfif" … it's an extension utilized for, and image is probably, jpeg. there's free utilities on the internet which perform batch file-renaming … this would be ideal for something that's command-line based.

what i'm saying is don't give up hope quite yet, lakshmi. also i am telling you to clean your pc … also, subscribe to the others' recommendations above. owning a computer is a responsibility … and your responsibility is to stay on top of the latest trends and security protocols. if not … your friends could be infected from your computer!

before closing … research this on google: "malware unicode character b8b0" and this: "malware unicode character89D1"

best wishes, lakshmi.

ref:
Windows 10 - .b8b0 file format
뢰 | hangul syllable roe (U+B8B0) @ Graphemica
觑 | Chinese, Japanese, Korean (cjk) unified ideograph (U+89D1) @ Graphemica

Back
Top Bottom