Windows 7 A Dumb Question (i Think)

Hi can anyone tell me what the little window is called on the left of the control panel? The one with the options inside it.
It is sort of like the equivalent of the Folder viewer in windows explorer... Also my main question is how can this be customized? my reason for asking is that my version of widows 7 has had this changed by my son and it is very annoying because the picture obstructs the view of the text in that area. i just want it back to normal.

I will include a picture of the area i mean hopefully someone will be able help with this as it is very annoying.
Thanks in advance for any help


Only dumb question is one that's not asked.

I believe that's your "Navigation Pane"

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.