Windows 7 A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting error code:0x80070426

jayboy

Hello, I have been constantly getting this message whenever I use troubleshooter...

"An error occurred while troubleshooting
A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting"

Path:C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\networking
Error code:0x80070426
Source:engine
Context:restricted

The strange thing is that when I run SFC /SCANNOW it fixes it.....TEMPORARILY
sad.gif

and gives me the same error whenever I restart or reboot my system.
Is there a permanent fix for this?

Thanks but there still seems to be no solution for this..
checked pretty much every forum
repair install
netsh winsock reset
malware bytes
and this is odd but when I run sfc /scannow it fixes it but only until i reboot then it occurs again :mad:

Hi

Try and run...

SFC /scannow

from the elevated command prompt.
I found one user who said this fixed it until he rebooted then it came back.
But it's worth a shot.

Here's another related link...

Can't access internet, troubleshooters, or Network and Sharing - Microsoft Answers

Mike

Thanks mike but I have tried all the steps mentioned on that thread but still no luck
SFC /scannow only fixes it temporarily then after reboot the error comes back again -___-
very annoying...

I tried everything mentioned in that thread but noo luck -__-
SFC /scannow fixes it temporarily then after a reboot the error comes back again unfortunately.
This is odd

Last edited:
Hi

It's strange that it keeps coming back every time the computer reboots.
It's just the same as the other post said.

This is a lengthy process but the next thing I would try is to run SFC /Scannow and then reboot into safe mode.
If is doesn't come back when you do that, then it is probably something that is loading that's causing the problem.

The next step is to figure out what it is that's loading that is causing the problem.

I don't know any way to do that except booting into diagnostic mode and turning things on a few at a time until you narrow it down to the one that's causing the problem.

If it still does it after booting into safe mode then it seems to be a more basic problem and not one caused by drivers or other apps loading.

Then the only option that I can think of is to try and do a repair install of Windows 7.

This used to be easy but now you have to remove Service Pack 1 before you can do the repair.

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

This seems to be a not uncommon problem but I can't find a solution.
I can find a lot of posts about this, even on this forum but so far no solution.
Here's a post from 2010.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/77169-windows-network-diagnostics-tool-error.html

If the only problem you are having is running the network diagnostic tool then maybe you should just ignore it.

If you have to run the diagnostic tool, run SFC /scannow first.
it can get to be a lot of work to make something that there is a work around for work in the normal way sometimes.

I hate to give up on these things but I've found that if I ignore them the sometimes they resolve themselves on their own eventually.

Last edited:
True I am experincing the same issue as aliasthad...
Ok so i have just tried booting into safe mode with networking and the error does not happen there.
Whatever that may mean...

Disabled all third party software via msconfig but it happened in clean boot anyways.

@Drew tried both but no dice...

Hi

It's strange that it keeps coming back every time the computer reboots.
It's just the same as the other post said.

This is a lengthy process but the next thing I would try is to run SFC /Scannow and then reboot into safe mode.
If is doesn't come back when you do that, then it is probably something that is loading that's causing the problem.

The next step is to figure out what it is that's loading that is causing the problem.

I don't know any way to do that except booting into diagnostic mode and turning things on a few at a time until you narrow it down to the one that's causing the problem.

If it still does it after booting into safe mode then it seems to be a more basic problem and not one caused by drivers or other apps loading.

Then the only option that I can think of is to try and do a repair install of Windows 7.

This used to be easy but now you have to remove Service Pack 1 before you can do the repair.

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Mike

This seems to be a not uncommon problem but I can't find a solution.
I can find a lot of posts about this, even on this forum but so far no solution.
Here's a post from 2010.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/77169-windows-network-diagnostics-tool-error.html

If the only problem you are having is running the network diagnostic tool then maybe you should just ignore it.

If you have to run the diagnostic tool, run SFC /scannow first.
it can get to be a lot of work to make something that there is a work around for work in the normal way sometimes.

I hate to give up on these things but I've found that if I ignore them the sometimes they resolve themselves on their own eventually.
True I am experincing the same issue as aliasthad...
Ok so i have just tried booting into safe mode with networking and the error does not happen there.
Whatever that may mean...

Disabled all third party software via msconfig but it happened in clean boot anyways.

Hi,

I posted this in the thread I started about the same problem, but I may have found an answer, so I'll post it here too.

I compared the list of Services when the Troubleshooter is not working to the the list when it is working and there were only 2 changes. Here were the results:

When the Troubleshooter is working:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Stopped
Cryptographic Services Started

When Troubleshooter Is Not Working:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Started
Cryptographic Services Stopped

There was no change when turning the Background Intelligence Transfer Service on/off, but when I turn ON Cryptographic Services, the Troubleshooter instantly works! When I turn it off, the Troubleshooter instantly stops working again.

So I think this whole problem can be narrowed down to Cryptographic Services and whether it is on or not. It is currently set to Manual startup. Do you know if this would work permanently if it was set to Automatic? I'm going to try it anyway.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards :D

**Additional: A quick look around the net suggests that Cryptographic Services is supposed to be set to Automatic.

Last edited:
Hi,

I posted this in the thread I started about the same problem, but I may have found an answer, so I'll post it here too.

I compared the list of Services when the Troubleshooter is not working to the the list when it is working and there were only 2 changes. Here were the results:

When the Troubleshooter is working:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Stopped
Cryptographic Services Started

When Troubleshooter Is Not Working:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Started
Cryptographic Services Stopped

There was no change when turning the Background Intelligence Transfer Service on/off, but when I turn ON Cryptographic Services, the Troubleshooter instantly works! When I turn it off, the Troubleshooter instantly stops working again.

So I think this whole problem can be narrowed down to Cryptographic Services and whether it is on or not. It is currently set to Manual startup. Do you know if this would work permanently if it was set to Automatic? I'm going to try it anyway.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards :D

**Additional: A quick look around the net suggests that Cryptographic Services is supposed to be set to Automatic.

Wow incredible I would have never thought that simply changing Cryptographic Services would stop this
dreaded error message.
Thanks so much aliasthad! :teeth_smile:

Forgive my late reply!

Wow incredible I would have never thought that simply changing Cryptographic Services would stop this
dreaded error message.
Thanks so much aliasthad! :teeth_smile:

Forgive my late reply!

Hey!

You're very welcome! I was so happy to finally solve this problem and I'm chuffed it helped you out too. So tough to narrow down the cause of a problem like this and then it turns out to be one little setting!

Kind Regards :cool:

Hi this seems to be a very common problem if you start googling it. I'm glad I came across this thread eventually because it fixed the problem. Perhaps this should be something for the next Microsoft Update.
Thanks to all who helped solve this problem for me.

Back