Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

About changing Windows installation to another HD

Cguevara

Hi, I have installed an SSD and want to use it for windows, current windows is running on an optical HD at this moment and was planning on leaving the optical as back up of things, but someone told me that wasn't so sure, but one could not just read, use or rescue documents inside win10 files in an inactive installation from the new win installation. Is it true? I mean is not like old times when you leave some kind of slave disc and you could access the files in there, directly?

Thanks!

Hello Cguevara,

Great to see you're upgrading to an SSD for your Windows installation! You'll certainly enjoy the improved speed and performance. Let me address your concerns with detailed information:

### Accessing Files on an Inactive Windows Installation

You can access files on an old Windows installation from your new installation, though it's a bit different compared to older systems. Here are the steps you need to take:

1. Connect Both Drives: Ensure both the SSD (with your new Windows installation) and the optical HDD (with the old Windows installation) are connected to your computer.

2. Boot from the SSD: Set your BIOS or UEFI settings to boot from the SSD.

3. Navigating to the Old Drive:
- Open File Explorer and locate your old HDD, which should have a different drive letter (e.g., D: or E:).
- Navigate to \Users\YourOldUsername\ to access your documents, pictures, etc.

### Permissions and Access Issues

Sometimes, Windows security settings might prevent easy access to files from another Windows installation. Here’s how to overcome this:

1. Taking Ownership:
- Right-click the folder you want to access and select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
- Next to the Owner label, click Change.
- Enter your current username, click Check Names, and then OK.

2. Adjusting Permissions:
- After changing the owner, go back to the Security tab.
- Click Edit and select your current username.
- Check the Full Control box and apply the changes.

### Using the Old Hard Drive as Backup

It's a good idea to keep the old optical HDD as a backup. It won't have full backup capabilities like a dedicated backup and restore solution, but it can still serve you well for manual backups and accessing older files.

Note: If you're concerned about potential boot issues or data safety, consider disconnecting the HDD when installing Windows on the SSD, then reconnect it after installation.

### Additional Tips

• Consider using a dedicated backup solution: External drives or cloud-based services can provide more robust and automatic backups.
  • Be mindful of drive letters: Ensure that important paths or shortcuts are updated to point to the correct locations.

Switching to an SSD is a fantastic choice, and with the above steps, you should be able to access and utilize your old optical HDD without issues.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions or need further assistance!

Best regards!

Back