Windows 7 Access Control/Security Tab problems....

HbHam

Lets start by saying I currently want my other half dead. Really painfully dead.

My MereMale decided to play with the access control/Security tabs (Windows 7) within my neatly partitioned and organised drives. He says it was to stop the kids from stuffing things up, oh the irony. Anyways he said he changed the settings to prevent other users from accessing certain partitions, and then he supposedly set my user to full access.

I had hoped he could be more specific, but his 3 firing brain cells were possibly scared stupid with the death glare I was giving him at the time. All he could remember doing was right clicking on the Drive from My Computer, clicking the security tab and screwing it up.

Today when I logged in and opened up My Computer, all my lovely partitions are no longer accessable. Even the names are no longer visible to me or any other User, all I get is G: or H: I cant even see how much space is on each drive now, even opening Properties shows no bytes used.

I am really starting to freak out as I cant even see the security tab within the drive proprties to change the settings back. I am guessing that Windows just thinks I dont have permission, and I am really hopeful that there is a simple solution. Please help before I get the shovel and dig a very large hole to hide the body and expain to my clients that 6 months work has been wiped from my external hard drive.

Please help...... Im too soft for prison.....

Please help me too...I'm in a similar mess...Have u any luck in solving your issue?

Okay here we are end of 2010 & I'm still stuck at the same issue. Only difference is I had uninstalled Windows 7 Beta as I was using Dual Boot with Win XP. Now I have only one operating system installed the new Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. My previous folder 'My Music 2' was inaccessible for some stupid reason. Then I created 'My Music 3a' and I was setting up my apps on Win7, when I personalized the Homegroup name. As soon as I did that I was buzy still installing applications & I'd like to hear some music on the background. So I double clicked on the folder 'My Music 3a' that I've been using ever since the previous problem and suddenly I got the error:
- "You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanantly get access to this folder" and when I click continue it says You have been denied access to this folder.
Well I didn't click Continue this time but had it memorized from the problem I had two years ago...I'm still looking for a solution!!
A techwiz mentioned that I could pull out my alternate drive that I have all my music in & plug it in another PC & I should be able to access all my data; but I would like to know if anyone has tried that option?

Please please help...I am now with no music accessible and a fancy operating system that doesn't allow you to save or access files from your own hard drives.

It now shows 0 bytes in two of my folders that total to more than 100GB!!!

The problem was caused due to:

Personalization of Homegroup to another name. But once you change back you've lost access to your data.

Please help me too...I'm in a similar mess...Have u any luck in solving your issue?

Okay here we are end of 2010 & I'm still stuck at the same issue. Only difference is I had uninstalled Windows 7 Beta as I was using Dual Boot with Win XP. Now I have only one operating system installed the new Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. My previous folder 'My Music 2' was inaccessible for some stupid reason. Then I created 'My Music 3a' and I was setting up my apps on Win7, when I personalized the Homegroup name. As soon as I did that I was buzy still installing applications & I'd like to hear some music on the background. So I double clicked on the folder 'My Music 3a' that I've been using ever since the previous problem and suddenly I got the error:
- "You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanantly get access to this folder" and when I click continue it says You have been denied access to this folder.
Well I didn't click Continue this time but had it memorized from the problem I had two years ago...I'm still looking for a solution!!
A techwiz mentioned that I could pull out my alternate drive that I have all my music in & plug it in another PC & I should be able to access all my data; but I would like to know if anyone has tried that option?

Please please help...I am now with no music accessible and a fancy operating system that doesn't allow you to save or access files from your own hard drives.

It now shows 0 bytes in two of my folders that total to more than 100GB!!!

The problem was caused due to:

Personalization of Homegroup to another name. But once you change back you've lost access to your data.

Sorry about the cross/double post..I realize that was wrong of me...But I can't thank you enough...You've given me life with Windows again...regaining faith with the PC..I'm so glad and thankful, the link you gave me worked like a charm..absolutely wonderful & fantastic...AWESOME :)

Good to know that you have managed to resolve your issue. Thanks for understanding the forum rules and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution.
Best wishes
Randy

Back
Top Bottom