Windows 7 Access denied to a wireless networked printer

etcman

I have a new Dell Studio Windows 7 computer with a locally connected printer that works with this machine. I have a wireless router that is the access to the internet for two XP laptops and two iPhones. All access the internet without difficulty. I have been able to share files from the Windows 7 machine with the laptops. I can find the printer on the network with the laptops. When I try to print nothing happens. In My Network Places the printer is listed on the laptop with the footer Access denied. My windows 7 machine came with McAfee installed that controls the Windows firewall but I turned off the firewall in McAfee without effect. Any ideas?

Try adding the printer this way:

1. Open Control Panel and Switch to Categories view
  2. Hardware and Sound => Printer
  3. Click on Add a printer from the top menu
  4. Select Add a Local Printer
  5. Select Create a New Port and choose the type as Local Port. Click Next.
  6. In the Port Name box, type the network path of the printer
  7. Find your printer and locate the drivers via Windows Update or the printer’s CD. Click Next. Click Finish.
  8. Now the printer should install

I tried that and had no success. Since my post I am now able to print off one XP laptop wirelessly but not a second XP laptop. When I am on the second one and try to get into Public files on the host computer, it asks me for a password. The first laptop does not do that. I checked the settings as thoroughly as I could with both laptops and they appear identical.

Sorry for the fragment but one additional thought. When I am using the second laptop (with the blocked access to printing and the one that asks for a password to access files on the host computer), I can access files on the first laptop without being asked for a password. I tried to print with my second laptop by using the first (fully functioning and printing) laptop's printer connection. That didn't work either.

OK, one xp laptop will print to the Win7 machine's hosted printer and the other will not. So now we need to determine what's different between the two xp machines. I suspect that perhaps the xp machine that is successful may share a common user name and password, that is to say that whatever username and password you are using on the Successful XP machine, also has a local logon account on the Win7 machine with the necessary permission level to share files and printers. If that is the case, and the other XP machine that you've so far been unsuccessful with when attempting to print to the Win 7 printer, has a different username and password, then maybe if you added that same user account with the same password to the Win7 machine you may have better luck. This is by no means mandatory, you should be able to get by the credentials prompt by simply using the format Windows7machineName\AccountNameOnWin7 and then the associated password for that account, but I have found that common usernames and passwords across multiple machines is often easier and more reliable. That's not to say that you have to be logged on to the Win7 machine with that account, simply rather, the account only needs to exist on the machine with the share and the account needs appropriate permissions to the shares

Resolved

Thanks for your help. One of the XP machines has multiple accounts while the Windows 7 machine only has one. The account name for the Windows 7 is the same as one of the xp accounts but with a different password. Issue resolved. Sorry for the late response and thanks again.

Thanks for your help. One of the XP machines has multiple accounts while the Windows 7 machine only has one. The account name for the Windows 7 is the same as one of the xp accounts but with a different password. Issue resolved. Sorry for the late response and thanks again.
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Back