Account trouble

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by yeti, Oct 16, 2009.

1. yeti

yeti New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I am running the 64 Bit Version of Windows 7 professional that i got from MSDNAA.
    I made a new limited account so that I don't have to login as an administrator (my main account) all the time.
    But: my "old" main administrator account does not appear on the login screen any more AND I cannot enter the administrator password in any line when being asked to enter it in the user profile configuration and any other user account security dialogue. So now I am stuck with only a limited account and no option to change anything.
    how can I get back to have administrator rights?

please excuse my english

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Aug 28, 2007
    Right-click on command prompt and choose 'run as administrator'.
    Then type:

net user administrator /active:yes

then press enter. You should see a message stating that the command completed successfully. Type exit and press Enter again to close the Command Prompt window.

When you restart Windows, you'll see a new account labeled simply "Administrator." The first time you log into this account, Windows will tell you that it's preparing the desktop before the system's default desktop appears. Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Controls > Change your Windows password > Create a password for your account, enter your password twice, add a hint (if you wish), and click Create password. (If you use Control Panel's classic view, the settings to create a password are in the User Accounts applet.)

To disable this administrator account, follow the steps above to return to the Command Prompt in administrator mode, type net user administrator /active:no, press Enter, type exit, and press Enter again.

This should work as it's the same fix for vista but if not, post back..
  3. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Jan 26, 2009
    I tried that for a while but got sick and tired of having to click the about lazy ha.:D