Windows 7 Acer 4810T Upgrade-Missing Step 3/DVD Drive not Recognized?

Rhubli

Followed Acer Vista HP 64 bit upgrade 3 step process (Acer Upgrade disc, Windows 7 Disc, Acer Upgrade disc). Unable to complete step 3 of 3, loading drivers and applications. DVD drive not recognized. Load disc as requested but will not run. Must use task manager to exit OK/Cancel loop. With no drive, can not even restore Vista! In Computer, only see C: drive listed, no E: like I should see. Not any expert, but appears that the DVD drive is disabled and/or partioned in the wrong place??? Appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks,

Found this………..seems very similar to ODD vanishing on Vista, now in windows7 it stops reading discs, several positive responses on it working so far also which is promising.

1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.
2. Open the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

Source: http://windows7forums.com

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/1625-dvd-driver-fix.html

W7 CD/DVD Drive Disappears

Attempted to implement your recommendation Toptech but the filters you describe are not present in that file folder. I continue to talk to the Acer Technical Support Line and I am told that this has now been identified as a broad problem affecting a lot of their machines. Sounds like W7 is missing the software to control the CD/DVD drives used in their product. They are working on a fix which may be a week or two away. So still dead in the water and reluctant to reload anything as another clean install may be coming. Thanks for the help!

edit: Just found something very similar to your problem relating to your model. It appears they feel they fixed it back in April using the Optical Drive Power Management software. Obviously not judging by what you are experiencing. I would consider the possibility of you requiring them to renapp your machine using the most up to date version they have as your version could very well be older and bugged as a result.

I do not see any open issues relating to this in the Acer global network. What country are you calling Acer in ?

Last edited:
In the US. Acer claims this is highest priority on their list with active engagement from MS. They advised I monitor www.support.acer.com for the fix posting. Tech did not indicate anything was there as of last night.

Thanks,

Rhubi,
I have the same exact issue. No upper or lower filters to delete, so that fix does not work for me. The cd drive will work once on startup then it usually disappears all together or windows doesnt recognize the CD. I spoke with Acer tech 5 days ago and they want me to send it in which I have not done yet. What part of the Acer support area are you watching for a fix? Is it the driver download section? Thanks please let me know if you see a fix. I will do the same for you...

Yes. Enter operating system and should be in either Driver Downloads of Patch. Not holding my breath. IN my last exchange, they now say it is entirely a MS problem, not theirs. They will post the fix they get from MS.

Through a bunch of "googles" it appears this problems affects other manufacturers equipment as well! Found one reco to unplug and replug the DVD/CD drive unit but I am not into opening my under warrenty laptop.

How did you get them to agree to take your unit in for repair?

They tried the deleting filters fix with me over the phone with no success and told me to send it in. I am hesitant becasue he suggested that they may restore Vista. I told them absolutly not that the reason I bought their product when I did was for the upgrade. Frustating, you would think something basic like this would have been fixed during Beta testing.

I am not sure if I should send it to them or wait a couple weeks. Lets hope for a fix...like right now!

I found the solution the the same problem. It works. Go to the acer support site at the following link
Link Removed - Invalid URL
enter the information to get to the available downloads for your notebook and operating system. In this case select the appropriate Vista operating system (32 or 64 bit) and download the "Application" update for "OpticalDrive PM Application".
Once it is downloaded, extract the zipped file and double click on it. It may first uninstall the old version (the one that isn't working). Then again double click on the extracted file to install the new version. You will need to reboot when finished. Upon reboot you will be able to use your DVD drive to complete Step 3 of the upgrade. Leave all 6 boxes selected on the Acer upgrade. The new Optical Drive PM should be fine. However if not, you can just reinstall the one you downloaded earlier. Good luck

Unfortunatly I was able to install all 3 steps and sitll have the problem. The drive works once on start up then is simply disapears for the icons in "computer" menue. I have tried every fix posted through the web and Acer support and have given up and sent the computer to them to deal with. Well see what happens..

Just to be sure that you aren't missing the obvious. Optical Drive Power turns off the CD/DVD Drive when on battery power.
To turn it back on, tap the Drive eject button. Drive should always be accessible when not on battery. Make sure that you are running Optical Drive Power Management version 1.01.3002. My 4810 runs OK only with this newer version. The Vista version was sufficient to get past step 3, but I now need the version installed in step three for the drive to keep working properly.

Yeah I got excited last week when someone else pointed this out to me. No luck though, I kept the computer plugged in and the drive still disapeared. I didnt see that step 3 even included it in the 3 applications that it included. I did also download the new version of E power managent on the Acer site in hopes this would do the trick- nothing. Thanks for looking out, Ill pass along anything the techs tell me next week when I get the computer back....

I continue to work the issue with Acer Tech Support and they now have suggest I send the unit in to TX for repair saying the problem relates to the hard drive. Problem I have is every time I call them, I in effect have to start over explaing the problem despite them having a service incident summary. Orignially, they claimed their level 2 support in cooperation with MS was on the case and would soplve within 1 week. No two weeks and no fix.

Anyway, I too am reluctant to send the PC in. I will call them AGAIN to insure they will load W7, not Vista. If they can not agree, I will demand that they take this unit back for full credit under warranty and I will go out and by a unit with W& already loaded. I bought the PC with the W7 upgrade as part of thge package!:frown:

I did have them note my file that to not reload Vista. I also attached a sheet taped to the computer explaining the problem again and in big bold letters saying I need W7 on this machine. I just got an email saying it will be fixed in 7-10 days. Frustating knowing if I waited another week the machine would have W7 preloaded....live and learn. On the flip side it seems like a great computer, I travel for work and the battery life and resonably good processor is a good setup...

So you decided to send it in after all. I think they finally admitted that they have a hardware problem and are probably only dealing with those who pester them enough to make the fix! Dis they commit that the PC would come back with W7 installed? Did you get them to pay shipping and insurance? They should as it's their problem!

They lead me to believe it will come back w/ W7. I made it as clear as I could (written in bold all over my computer)- well see. According to them the warranty requires me to pay one way shipping which sucks but I bit the bullet. I asked them to do a clean install of W7 and make it like new.....I figured it was time to cut my losses as I have spent so much of my time already.

I had one of these hit my desk today, I got it working and sent the solution onto my colleagues, here is a copy:

Hiya,

Just a heads up really, no one else has really mentioned it so just passing on my findings.

The ODD will vanish from the system quite often on this model whilst doing this upgrade install (see screenshot below):
[URL="http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3817/w7oddvanish.th.jpg]"][img=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3817/w7oddvanish.th.jpg]
Link Removed due to 404 Error[/url]
You can do the filter fix:
1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.
2. Open the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

2. You can reinstall Acer Optical Drive Power Management Application from http://support.acer-euro.com (software has been downloaded and in the resource drive already) Did not work for me until I did windows update for chipset drivers.

3. Get online and download the updated chipset drivers for the unit. (Once I reinstalled the Acer Optical Drive Power Management Application afterwards I got the ODD back and working)

Regards,

Last edited:
The upper and lower filters are not there on my machine as per some of the other posts. Do you think the your recommendation of reinistalling the optical drive power management application and downloading the updated chipset drivers will deliver the fix? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Problem Solved! Pass the word...

The Optical Drive PM Application is the missing driver that allows the DVD/CD drive to disappear. Fortunately, through posts on this site, I took the advice to load a Vista Home Premium 64 bit version of the application as a Windows 7 version is not provided on the Acer site. Apparently Acer Technical has yet to figure this out! I plan to call them in hopes of having them post the fix on their site to help others with the same problem. Thanks to all the posters who provided assistance. It took two weeks and a lot of frustration, but its working! So much for W7 plug and play.:p

Problem Solved! Pass the word... (Version 2)

to all of you guys who still have this problem, i may have figured it out.
i have an
acer 4736z
clean install of Win7
all of the latest win7 driver for this laptop,
and 3 days worth of headaches

tried all of the fixes out there(registry, disable blah blah blah f8 during boot, bcedit, acer power smart,
acer optical blah blah blah.), none worked

i removed all of them.

SOLUTION:
in power options, switch your power plan to "performance".
and that's it.

hope this helps others

i dont exactly know which option of the "performance" power plan solves this issue.

can someone please point this one out.

Back
Top Bottom