Windows 7 Acer Netwook/Win7

billyc99

Honorable Member
In August 2009 i purchased an Acer Aspire one Netbook. The unit came preinstalled with WinXP. I subsequently upgraded to Win7. The Unit has worked well until about 1 week ago. Keyboard is malfuntioning...trackpad doesn't work until i hit the Fn+F7 keys...the screen began stuttering (if that's the right word to use)...upon booting into the system...the unit would boot into "windows Boot Manager"...then i was unable to shut it down properly. Now, when operating the unit i get several loud beeps...10 seconds or so...then a successful boot. I contacted the Acer website with negative results as the warranty has expired. Made a trip to a local PC shop. Verdict...as i suspected...motherboard appears to be on the way out the door. As i understand since it came with WinXP the maker says i probably shouldn't have upraded to Win7 (hmmmm). Worked fine for almost 2 yrs with Win 7. If i purchase another Netbook...doubtful...i'll make sure Win7 is the installed OS. I guess that a have a new paperweight. Any ideas from the gurus?:confused:

Those loud beeps are beep codes and can give you insight into the problem. If you check the manufacturers website, or possibly the maker of the bios, you may be able to find what they mean.

How many beeps are you getting and any specific pattern? It may be something like the keyboard connector has come loose. I suppose, depending on the situation, it might indicate a stuck key or one that thinks it might be stuck.

Last edited:
Saltgrass, i appreciate your response. i am getting a single Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep an so on lasting for about 15 or 20 seconds. The A and S key do not respond though the remainder of the keys operate. The touchpad is not operating either. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I have the unit booted as i am sending this response...feel really frustrated. I have the feeling that the MB is ready to bite the dust. When i press the Fn+F7 key i now can operate the touchpad...OMG...if I could determine the reason for the Beep and fix that I would be able to cope with the other problems. The website is simply useless.

Do you have the ability to look under the keyboard by lifting it out but not unplugging? If not, have you turned it upside down and tried tapping it to see if some contaminants might have gotten under a key? Have you spilled anything on it?

You might be right about the possible demise, but it looks like a keyboard or keyboard controller is at the root of the problem.

The constant beeps, unless there is a specific number, is probably not a beep code.

The constant beeps might be related to a stuck key or the PC thinking a key is stuck. If you would boot up a working pc and hold down a key it will fill the keyboard buffer and even after you release the key you will get beeps until the kb buffer is empty..

The keyboard does not lift out on this particular model, the keys snap down onto a plunger. I was able to lift the "A" key off of the plunger the plunger works fine. I could find no contaminants under the offending keys. Pressing a combination of the Fn>F7 keys release the touchpad and makes it functional. The "A" and "S" key prob still exist. I wonder if it is worth the trouble and $ to send it to Acer for repairs. If I am unable to upgrade the factory installed WinXP and load Win7 i can't see dumping any more money. I really would have thought that the product would have lasted longer than 2 yrs. I do have an old Acer Laptop purchased over 5 years ago and it is still operating well after upgrading the WinXP to Win7.

Back