Windows 7 ACLs on file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS are not proper.

Will Bennion

Hi all
I just restarted my computer and for some reason it gets stuck on the logo screen. I restarted it a few times and nothing happened, so I ran the Startup Repair tool.

Here is the start of the log:
Code:
Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number or repair attempts: 2

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 2
and whole load of successful tests then the last part
Code:
Root cause found:
ACLs on file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS are not proper. Old value = 0x0
Repair action: Access control repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x45d
Time taken = 489687 ms

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f
Time taken = 595362 ms

Root cause found:
ACLs on file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS are not proper. Old value = 0x0

I have tried looking on Microsoft help center and tried Googleing my problem, but found nothing useful.
If anyone could help me A.S.A.P. that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Please note: I'm going away later tonight and won't be back for a few days.

That is a strange one, and unless you have been changing the security settings, possibly a virus is at work.

I will assume you have not been able to get into Safe Mode and remove the drivers or disable the device?

If that is the case, I would probably try to rename the file from the Command Prompt and use a .bak or .old extension, if it will allow. You could try deleting it, but then a recovery might be harder. I suppose if it found one file bad, there may be others but I do not know.

If you feel like experimenting, you might open the Command Prompt, probably in some Administrative fashion, and type ICACLS to see what options you might have. I have not personally tried this, so completely up to you and I suppose there is a chance the Startup Repair was already doing this. I will play with this command a little and get back if I find anything.

And you may want to give it some time for others to weigh in on any procedures since this is a little out of the ordinary.

Back