Windows 7 Action Center suggests an update to Oblivion that is already installed

trog69

Fantastic Member
I have Oblivion installed, and occasionally the game will crash, as most modern, complex RPGs will do. However, Win7's Action Center pops up and tells me:

A newer version of The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is available for download that might solve this problem. Bethesda Softworks LLC. recommends updating to the latest version of The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion to take advantage of security and stability improvements.

First, the link provided is a dead-end. Second, the game is already updated to the very last iteration provided by Bethesda - 1.2.0416. I also have the UOP and related DLC-patches installed, which might be why Win7 seems...confused. hehe.

My Google-fu is weak, so I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue?

If the "crash" portion of the first sentence is missing, I don't know why.

Hi

It wouldn't hurt to download the patch and run it again.

FilePlanet: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Patch v1.2

If it says that the patch has already been installed ignore the message that Windows is giving you.

As I remember I had problems with Oblivion dropping out from time to time as well.

Make sure your video drivers are up to date and that the game file as defragmented.
I use Defraggler, it will let you defragment the files without doing a lengthy doing the whole drive thing.
It really does make a difference.

Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

If you like Oblivion wait until you try Skyrim!

I'm playing it right now and it's like Oblivion on steroids.

Fantastic graphics, a zillion things to do, great voice acting, and just plain fun.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. I'll check out the Defraggler, but it might conflict with the automatic Defrag task that is a part of my Norton 360. It is set to defrag every 2 weeks, because I'm an idiot. hehe.

As to the Obliv. patch, my game is indeed up-to-date.

I have been putting off on Skyrim, as I just bought a monster rig, and I'm still running around the Nevada deserts w/Fallout: NV. I never did finish Oblivion, since my rig at the time wasn't up to the "Keep Martin Alive" portion near the end. Even at the very lowest graphics settings, I was trying to keep him alive at @5 FPS-not conducive to his health, I assure you. Now, I have a gtx580, and with a few mods, the game looks so beautiful that I'll prolly have a heart-attack when I get Skyrim up and running! hehehe. ( Plus, I still have Mass Effect 1/2 that I have barely started into, plus Dragon Age: Origins on deck. Man, I'm so far behind, by the time I finish Skyrim, Fallout 4 will be out! AHAHAHA!

EDIT: You know, I was trying to remember the last game I actually finished; it was Planescape: Torment, about 2 years ago. I guess I have fun playing, and I don't really care that much about the finish. That game, however, requires you to finish it, just for the full effect. I don't think any game, before or since, has pulled my in like that one did.

Last edited:
Hi again.

I can grantee that you will see a performance boost if you get rid of Norton.
I'm now using only MSE and Malwarebytes and my computer is much more responsive then when I ran one of the suites of protection tools.

I get McAfee free from my service provider and I still don't use it.

I finish pretty much every game I start, some of them multiple times.

Just finished Tomb Raider Underworld for the 3rd or 4th time.

I'm now playing Skyrim and Age of Conan with a friend of mine.

Looking forward to the new Tomb Raider in the fall.
I've played every TR game since the first one in the 90s.

Mike

Back