Action Center suggests an update to Oblivion that is already installed

trog69

Honorable Member
I have Oblivion installed, and occasionally the game will crash, as most modern, complex RPGs will do. However, Win7's Action Center pops up and tells me:

A newer version of The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is available for download that might solve this problem. Bethesda Softworks LLC. recommends updating to the latest version of The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion to take advantage of security and stability improvements.

First, the link provided is a dead-end. Second, the game is already updated to the very last iteration provided by Bethesda - 1.2.0416. I also have the UOP and related DLC-patches installed, which might be why Win7 seems...confused. hehe.

My Google-fu is weak, so I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue?

If the "crash" portion of the first sentence is missing, I don't know why.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

It wouldn't hurt to download the patch and run it again.

FilePlanet: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Patch v1.2

If it says that the patch has already been installed ignore the message that Windows is giving you.

As I remember I had problems with Oblivion dropping out from time to time as well.

Make sure your video drivers are up to date and that the game file as defragmented.
I use Defraggler, it will let you defragment the files without doing a lengthy doing the whole drive thing.
It really does make a difference.

Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

If you like Oblivion wait until you try Skyrim!

I'm playing it right now and it's like Oblivion on steroids.

Fantastic graphics, a zillion things to do, great voice acting, and just plain fun.

Mike

Last edited:

trog69

Honorable Member
Thanks, Mike. I'll check out the Defraggler, but it might conflict with the automatic Defrag task that is a part of my Norton 360. It is set to defrag every 2 weeks, because I'm an idiot. hehe.

As to the Obliv. patch, my game is indeed up-to-date.

I have been putting off on Skyrim, as I just bought a monster rig, and I'm still running around the Nevada deserts w/Fallout: NV. I never did finish Oblivion, since my rig at the time wasn't up to the "Keep Martin Alive" portion near the end. Even at the very lowest graphics settings, I was trying to keep him alive at @5 FPS-not conducive to his health, I assure you. Now, I have a gtx580, and with a few mods, the game looks so beautiful that I'll prolly have a heart-attack when I get Skyrim up and running! hehehe. ( Plus, I still have Mass Effect 1/2 that I have barely started into, plus Dragon Age: Origins on deck. Man, I'm so far behind, by the time I finish Skyrim, Fallout 4 will be out! AHAHAHA!

EDIT: You know, I was trying to remember the last game I actually finished; it was Planescape: Torment, about 2 years ago. I guess I have fun playing, and I don't really care that much about the finish. That game, however, requires you to finish it, just for the full effect. I don't think any game, before or since, has pulled my in like that one did.

Last edited:

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi again.

I can grantee that you will see a performance boost if you get rid of Norton.
I'm now using only MSE and Malwarebytes and my computer is much more responsive then when I ran one of the suites of protection tools.

I get McAfee free from my service provider and I still don't use it.

I finish pretty much every game I start, some of them multiple times.

Just finished Tomb Raider Underworld for the 3rd or 4th time.

I'm now playing Skyrim and Age of Conan with a friend of mine.

Looking forward to the new Tomb Raider in the fall.
I've played every TR game since the first one in the 90s.

Mike

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.