Activation Situation

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by JimH790, Oct 29, 2009.

1. JimH790

JimH790 New Member

I have Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disk. My system is/was XP Professional. I began the upgrade and had some difficulty in booting from the Win 7 upgrade disk and had to re-start several times. Eventually the installation began, formatteed the had drive and installed. At the Activation page I entered the Product Key and got an error message ".. this Product Key is for an Upgrade version only ....", or something like that. Did the re-format of the hard drive and deletion of the existing XP sysytem void the Upgrade? J M Harper

2. tblount

tblount New Member

There is a work around. Here is one way: http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/23/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-the-answer.aspx

3. JimH790

JimH790 New Member

I did just as described and it worked perfect, thank you very much indeed, Jim harper

4. dooglo

dooglo New Member

5. tblount

tblount New Member

I have found by my own experimenting that you can simply delet ei.cfg from a full version then when you install, tell it the version you have a key for... and it will accept it first time with no work around.