Windows 7 Activation Situation

JimH790

I have Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disk. My system is/was XP Professional. I began the upgrade and had some difficulty in booting from the Win 7 upgrade disk and had to re-start several times. Eventually the installation began, formatteed the had drive and installed. At the Activation page I entered the Product Key and got an error message ".. this Product Key is for an Upgrade version only ....", or something like that. Did the re-format of the hard drive and deletion of the existing XP sysytem void the Upgrade? J M Harper

I have Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disk. My system is/was XP Professional. I began the upgrade and had some difficulty in booting from the Win 7 upgrade disk and had to re-start several times. Eventually the installation began, formatteed the had drive and installed. At the Activation page I entered the Product Key and got an error message \".. this Product Key is for an Upgrade version only ....\", or something like that. Did the re-format of the hard drive and deletion of the existing XP sysytem void the Upgrade? J M Harper

There is a work around. Here is one way: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I did just as described and it worked perfect, thank you very much indeed, Jim harper

I have found by my own experimenting that you can simply delet ei.cfg from a full version then when you install, tell it the version you have a key for... and it will accept it first time with no work around.

Back