Add/Remove

iflog

Honorable Member
I downloaded a couple programs which I didnt want any longer so I removed them properly. When I look at my show hidden icons, customise, the programs are still listed there. I even ran a CCleaners registry fix and went into the registry myself to remove any left over bits and confirmed there is nothing left. Yet when I look at show hidden icons they are still there. How can I remove them totally?

iflog

Honorable Member
Judging by the zero response it is either impossible or nobody has had this question posed to them before.

iflog

Honorable Member
Thank you for the reply. I used the uninstall that came with the program. After that I tried CCleaner to remove anything that may have been left in the registry. I even went into the registry and hit "find" and removed anything else myself. There is no trace of the program anywhere but in the "show hidden icons".

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
Where are these hidden icons appearing? (we're like buses. You don't see one for ages, then two come along!!).

iflog

Honorable Member
Taskbar - show hidden icons - customize

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
Old icons will live quite happily in the tray area forever without affecting anything.

CCleaner gives you an option to clear the System tray:

You can also do it manually with a registry hack by saving this code as a reg file and merging it into your registry.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
"IconStream"=-
"PastIconsStream"=-
With the manual method you have to stop and re-start explorer.exe which can be done through the Task Manager (R-click taskbar for an open option) or re-starting the PC. Be aware that both methods restore default settings to all the notification area icons so your display preferences will need to be re-set (Remember to un-tick the CCleaner method after it has run!).

Footnote In my experience, on Windows 7 the CCleaner method of clearing the notification area is a bit hit or miss. The manual method however, works every time.

Last edited:
Sometimes you might have to go to the apps website and download an uninstaller tool from them....Like I just did with Avast Anti virus which will completely remove it.....so they say.

Last edited:

iflog

Honorable Member
It looks like CCleaner got rid of one but there is still another in there. Its listed under Java(TM) Platform SE binary.

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
Did you try the manual method to remove the old icons?

Are you talking about icons in the system tray, if so go to CC cleaner and under advanced check tray notifications cache then run cleaner

iflog

Honorable Member
Did that Sarge...Got rid of one but not the other.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.