Windows 7 Adding memory

Flexxzor

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I think you guys can help me out :D
I currently have 4 Gb DDR2 800 RAM dual channel and I'd like to add some but...
A friend of mine has 2 Gb DDR3 1333 dual channel but he bought other RAM so he doesn't need it anymore. Now the question is: Can I put the 2 gb in my pc and will it work with the other type of RAM that I already have? I do have 2 slots free so I can put it in but I dont know if it'll work properly

thanks in advance

Flexxzor:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Highly unlikely unless your motherboard is one of the very rare ones that have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots and even it the case that it maybe one of those boards, I suspect that it is an either / or option as with the difference in the settings (timing and voltage) between the two I don't ever see them playing happily together.
Hope the helps and best regards
Randy

Putting DDR3 in a DDR2 motherboard is like the old "Square peg in a round hole" thing.
It's physically different and won't fit. Trying to make it fit, would certainly Destroy something.

If you really think you need more ram, and you have a 64 bit OS, then here's an option for you.

Go to www(dot)Crucial(dot)com and download their Ram Scanner program.
It will run on your PC and analyze what you already have and then go back to the web site,
where they will tell you what options you have and how much it will cost. If you wish, you
can buy new ram right there and they will mail it to your home, office, etc.

I use this option for my customers, all the time. It's fast, it's handy, and Crucial sells only
the very top quality ram and they guarantee it.

After getting stuck with questionable ram from other sources, I now stay with Crucial exclusively.

Good Luck Mate!
:cool:

Thanks alot for your replies!
I currently have the MSI p35 Neo motherboard that has 4 slots for DDR2 RAM but I've got another motherboard here: the ASROCK G41C-VS that has DDR2 + DDR3 combo design but it only has 2 memory slots so I cant use it because my 4gb and the 2gb are dual channel so :(

Anyway, thanks alot for the help guys!

Back