Windows 7 Adjusting brightness issue with Sony Vaio notebook running on Windows 7

aznricyboy

I am using a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650N notebook model. I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Professional 32-bit recently and got the dreaded "fn key malfunctioning" issue, which I was able to quickly fix by reinstalling drivers from Sony's website in a certain order. Changing the display brightness with the fn keys does work, however, whenever I close the lid or put the computer to sleep, I cannot change the brightness again until I reboot. When I try, the little meter pops up but only changes one bar before it gets "stuck". Changing the slider in Power Options doesn't work either unless I reboot. This gets pretty annoying when I close my lid and walk to class each day :\
I've tried this with the most recent NVIDIA graphic driver from Sony's website. When that didn't work, I went to laptopvideo2go.com and downloaded the latest modified NVIDIA driver there to work on my machine. I'm no tech guru (obviously), so I don't even know if the problem is with my graphics card. But my card model is a GeForce 8400M GS version 196.34. I am still experiencing the same issue. Is there any way around this?
Some places suggested updating BIOS, which I tried through my device manager. I've already been told that all my drivers are up to date though.

I've tried contacting Sony's tech support, but as you can guess, the response was that, "your machine was not designed to run Windows 7...blahblahblah...we have no plans to release future drivers for it as this is a discontinued model...please do a system restore. Kthxbye". As I have said before, the fn keys do work flawlessly before closing the laptop lid or putting the computer to sleep, which suggests that Windows 7 SHOULD be able to work with the Vista Vaio Event Manager drivers.

Hello, and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums. :)
To be honest with you, the problem may have been caused by "Upgrading"
It's always best to do a clean install.

Hello, and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums. :)
To be honest with you, the problem may have been caused by "Upgrading"
It's always best to do a clean install.

Well, my dad was actually the one that did the installation. I'm not sure how he went about doing it. But I mean, if everything functions perfectly until I put the computer to sleep, then I doubt it's a problem with the operating system.

Back