Windows 7 Adjusting video thumbnails...

zabow770

I have to say that I absolutely love Windows 7. I'm just extemely obsessive compulsive when it comes to the appearance of thumbnails. My question is how to adjust the time in a video when Windows 7 generates a thumbnail. Right now, 7 creates thumbnails at 0 seconds into my videos so all of the video thumbnails are just black. This, to me, defeats the whole purpose of creating thumbnails for videos. I'm dual booting with Vista and Vista creates video thumbnails at some arbitrary point. (I think it's 2:30 into a video.) I'm pretty sure that I would have to access something through regedit and adjust the standard time in which 7 creates thumbnails for video files. I've searched the internet extensively trying to find a solution to this problem and couldn't find anything. I figured this would be the best place to find an answer. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide me!

sorry, I think there is no solution for this. I just wanted to say that this annoys the hell out of me as well! vista handled that really perfectly, but in 7 all my thumbs are simply black because it takes them at second 0.
also, it shouldn't take all the thumbs at the same second but simply at a random point in the vid like I did in vista. don't know why they changed that.

PS: I searched the registry a little and it seems to me that the caching is done by a .dll ... system32\thumbcache.dll seems to be most likely. that means in order to change the way windows handles thumbs you would need to change that dll ... I doubt it's possible

Last edited:
Back