Windows 7 Admin account

ltgoldman

Hello windows7forums community,

I've made a bit of a whoopsey in lusrmgr.msc and have managed to set the password for the hidden admin account; which is fine - the problem is that I also removed the only local user's membership of the administrators group forgetting to check that I had enabled the admin account because by default it is disabled; I simply forgot to uncheck the account disabled radio button for the admin account. I have tried going into safe mode to run 'net user administrator /active:yes' which is reported as being successful but when I restarted machine and tried to login as admin it came up still saying: Account is disabled.......

Any suggestions for how to get myself out of this hole "rather not have to reinstall the whole kaboodle"............

I bet you forgot to run cmd window as administrator. Then type:

image6.png

net user administrator /active:yes

image7.png

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - the How-To Geek

If that doesn't work, it has been reported that, that command will work from the command prompt option, when booting from the install DVD.
Also it has been reported that using the install DVD and selecting a system restore point may also help.
Good luck

The problem is that I'm locked out of the admin account and all local users have been removed from the administrators group (a big mistake I know) so running anything 'as admin' doesn't actually run as admin instead as the currently logged in user.......

FANTASTIC! IT WORKED! (Not sure which was the cure; the restore or the running cmd prompt from installation dvd but one or both worked) So thankyou all especially 'Trouble'.........

I would also try what Trouble has suggested:

If that doesn't work, it has been reported that, that command will work from the command prompt option, when booting from the install DVD.

During the GUI phase of the installation press the SHIFT + F10 keys. When the cmd window pops up, type in:

net user administrator /active:yes

Back