Administrative Tools

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by SIR, Oct 25, 2008.

1. SIR

SIR New Member

Where specifically in the Administrative Tools module do you go to prevent users from installing programs?

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

If this is a home computer, isn't everybody supposed to use a standard account, that way a virus will be confined to one specific account. If you use your administrator account a virus will spread throughout the entire computer. I believe a standard account holder does not have authority to install programs. My memory is not as good as it used to be, or has SP1 changed that? (For business, NTFS Permissions)

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Re: Administartive Tools

Celestra is on the right track when she mentions accounts..
    To limit a users powers on your machine create a 'guest' account... :)

4. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

You can also choose which installed programs you want an account to use by turning on Parental Controls.

5. SIR

SIR New Member

A standard user can install programs in Vista Ultimate unless an administrator removes that right. I don't want to go with the guest account because there are multiple users with different access levels. I am certain that I've seen the module fthat allow one to prevent users from installing programs but I'm have a "senior moment".

6. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

Is it an insult or something to forbid users from installing programs? I've also seen some software located on "Best Vista Downloads" that will stop people from installing programs -if you want. It maybe free, you'll have to check it out.